Chapter VII

“I can’t believe you’re leaving!!” said Nya as she hugged Scarlett.
“I am literally just going down the street” she replied.
“Are you sure I can’t help you with anything?”
“No everything’s done plus Jacobs coming to pick me up”
It had been two weeks since Jacobs’s party. Scarlett had found a nice apartment not far from Nya and she and Jacob had been inseparable. Jacobs’s fans had gone into frenzy when they realised that the eligible bachelor had been snatched up by the gorgeous Dr King. The publicity had also helped both her and Nya. Scarlett had already a list of clients and she hadn’t even opened her practice yet while Nya had booked four events since Jacobs’s birthday party. His shout out to her on instagram had definitely boosted her celebrity clients list. Nya had also been attending AA twice a week so she was more like her old self.
“I can’t believe David isn’t here to say goodbye” said Nya
“Why should he be? I’m just going down the street you guys will still see me all the time”
Scarlett’s phone chimed, “Its Jacob. He’s downstairs” she hugged Nya again and said “Bye Nya thanks for everything.”
“Bye S”
As she reached the first floor and the elevator door opened, she saw David standing there. David stepped in and pressed three.
“David. Jacobs waiting on me outside.”
“I know. I saw the Lambo.”
“What are you doing here I thought you had to work?”
Since Jacob’s party, Scarlett barely had time for her and David’s nightly chats. She and Jacob went out almost every night.
“I couldn’t let you leave without saying goodbye”
She turned to face him. He looked as handsome as ever. She then said, “Like I told Nya I’m just going down the street.”
“I know but…” he stopped midsentence as if he was searching for the perfect thing to say.
“David, are you ok?” she asked stepping closer to him
He quickly embraced her taking her by surprise. She then wrapped her arms around his waist and laid her head on his chest. In that moment she felt so comfortable that she allowed herself to melt into him. He reached over and pressed the button, stopping the elevator; all the while keeping her in his arms. Scarlett realised in that moment just how much the both of them had come to love and cherish the friendship they created. After a while he slowly let her go, their bodies still close, she looked up into his eyes. He then leaned in and Scarlett was sure he was going to kiss her. He slowly went pass her lips and kissed her on the cheek. A sudden sensation of disappointment and confusion filled her.  He took one step back, held her hand and said, “I’m going to miss you Scarlett King”
She stepped towards him and replied,” I’m going to miss you too David Woods” They stood in that elevator hand in hand, looking deeply into each other’s eyes. The sound of her phone ringing woke her from what felt like a dream. Startled she suddenly pulled her hand away as if suddenly realising what she was doing.  She answered her phone and said” hey I’m sorry I’m on my way.”
She reached passed David and pressed the button sending them to the first floor. They both stepped out of the elevator. Scarlett said goodbye to Don and handed in her key card. As she headed outside she saw Jacob leaning against his Lamborghini, arms folded, looking like a whole snack. David headed to his car to go back to work.
“You ok babe?” asked Jacob
“I’m fine let’s get outta here” but she wasn’t fine. She was confused “why did I want him to kiss me? Why did it feel so good when he held me? Why do I feel this way about my friend’s husband?” all these thoughts ran through her head. She had always known that there was a little chemistry between her and David but after what just happened it was as if all the feelings that she had tried so hard to suppress had been unearthed. She couldn’t help but admit how intrigued it made her.