6

The car rode smoothly down the dirt roads as town came into view over the horizon. It wasn't much to the normal being a the population was easily under 500 but to me it was too much. The coyote growled beside me as we pulled up to the red light, the car next to us staring at him with surprised faces. Their window rolls down, "What kind of dog is that?" The man yells over and I shrug, "T'sa Damn coyote." I yell back and the man nods before awkwardly smiling and quickly rolling up his window. I brush it off as the light turns green and we go our separate ways.

I reach for the radio and turn it on, "Sunday kinda love"." I hum softly as the music plays. The coyote looks at the radio before leaning in to sniff it, "It ain't food." I chuckle as it looks at me then back at the radio, it's ears perked as Etta James began to sing, "I want a Sunday kind of love.." I tap my finger against the wheel as our destination came into view. "A love to last past Saturday night." A small howl leaves the mouth of the coyote as Ella sings softly. I chuckle as I turn it up, much to the coyotes approval as he began to howl louder, "Oh yea yea!" She sings passionately as the coyote leans back to howl loudly, drowning her out easily. I chuckle as people give him amused looks. I pull up to the curve before I reach over and switch off the music, "We're here." I could have sworn the damn thing rolled its eyes before huffing softly.

I hop out the truck before leaving the door open for the coyote, which hesitantly climbed out as people passed us with wide eyes and open mouths. I whistle to get his attention and nod towards the building, "The sooner we get done the sooner you can see Olivia." His ears perk a bit as he stood beside me, "And if your good, a treat too." I chuckle as he looks up at me with wide eyes before standing proudly beside me. It was until now did I realize how big he truly was. His head damn near reached my chest and he obviously was taller than me on his hind legs. I pay his head before grabbing his scruff and leading him into the vet.

Animals chattered loudly until they saw him. Cats hissed viciously as birds fell quiet and backed into corners. Even the lap dogs looked ready to piss themselves as they eyed him from their owner's arms. I walk to the front desk and smile warily at the worried looking receptionist, "Hello.. Just a checkup." She nods her head before typing on her computer, "Name?" I look at the coyote who in turn looked just as confused as me. "James.. And I'm Charles." I smile as she nods and begins typing.

Checking him in as the easiest part. Talking to the doctor was what had me nervous. I look over at the dog and sigh as he eyes a woman holding her chicken. She clutched it tightly to her chest as she gave my dog a mean glare, "Keep them lips over there." I cough to cover my laugh as James only rolls his eyes and looks at the other animals. "Alright sir.. A vet will be with y'all shortly.. About fifteen minutes." The receptionist smiles hesitantly before eyeing James. I chuckle and lead James to the back of the waiting area, "Ain't nothing here food, boy." I chuckle as his eyes linger back to the chicken in the Woman's lap.

Time passed slowly as the room began to empty. My eyes watched James as he curiously looked around, "Ain't never been inside a building, huh?" He looks to me for a moment before looking at the animals once again. "Mr. Winslow." I look up at the nurse and smile as I stand, "Hello, Dr..." I read her badge, "Annalise." She smiles but it falters as her eyes widen as they land on James, "What breed is that?" She steps up but earns a growl from James. She hops back and nervously looks at me, "He bite?" I look to James and give him a working look, "If he wants dinner, then no." James challenges me for a moment, our eyes locking, "I'll make Olivia feed ya." His look falters before he finally looks away with a loud huff. I smile, "Nah.. He won't bite."
______________

The vet plucked the needle a few times as she turned back to us, "Since the breed is unknown, I'm going to take a blood sample." She looks to James with a wide smile, earning a big huff. I snap my finger, "She's helping you now.. Be grateful." The beast looks at me then back at her before laying his head back on his paws. I shake my head, "He ain't fully trained yet.. Knows what I'm saying though." The nurse simply nods her head but her eyes stay on James.

She steps up slowly before pointing the needle at his neck, "Just a little." She mumbles as she begins to pull out his blood. James doesn't flinch but he does growl lowly, letting us know his discomfort. It only lasted a second before she pulled it out with a confused look, "His blood is very.. Dark.." She mumbles the end before storing away the needle in a case. I look to James who eyed her warily before sighing, " Not sure how.. He won't eat nothin." She nods her head slowly as she listened, "Perhaps a tooth ache.." she reaches for his mouth only to flinch back as he growls. "He won't bite." I snap at him and earn an angry look from him but he implies as she touches his mouth and earns nothing but a soft growl. She lifts his muzzle and looks at his teeth, "They seem fine.. Just very.. Sharp." She steps away to write it down, "Mind if I take a picture?" She grabs a camera and I shrug, "Go 'head." The beast huffs but complies as she takes pictures all over his body.

"350 pounds.. and he's skinny.." She reads off the clip board, "Thats a wolf.. Has to be." She looks at him again before looking at me, "But his hair is naturally short.. Perhaps a mixed breed.. with Great Dane?" She mumbles softly and I shrug, "Mutt." She nods before looking at James, "The test results should be back in next Monday. See you then." I shake her hand and stand up. James more than happily gets up and head towards the door but I grab his scruff, "Need to buy you a collar and leash, damnit." I frown as he pulls me out the room.