10

My chest felt tight as I looked back at the house. Over Forty years of memories to be left behind and never to be looked back on. I had called my neighbors and asked them to watch my livestock while I'm on "vacation" and yet worry still held my heart as I watched it disappear from my view.  I look at my dashboard to the picture of my love, "I'm sorry.." Her sparkling brown eyes still shined bright in the faded picture. Creases and thumb prints could do nothing to hide her beauty.

Carolyne..

My love since I was 7.

You don't meet many people where we grew up but I could have explored the whole world and still fell for her. It was ten years ago that I had lost her and if it weren't for that little bundle of joy, I'm sure I would have lost myself. But in all honesty, I don't know what hurt more, losin her or knowin Olivia never got to see her.

My finger slowly traces the picture of her face, her kind eyes still bright despite the worn image, "Ain't nothing I wouldn't trade to have you by my side right now..." My heart yearned but I didn't have time to mourn again.

My eyes focused back on the road, barren and dry just like the days before and the days to come as we raced with time. I didn't know when they would be back to the house. Hopefully the neighbors won't be there either..

I look over to the mutt in the passengers seat. He was far too big to fit but refused to be in the back. He had a huge fuss when I tried to force him in the back. Almost lost a finger before finally giving up and letting him sit beside me.

What truly shook me to the core was watching him pull open the handle and hop in. Damn thing even closed the door behind him before givin me a 'You comin?' Look over his shoulder.

"Ain't nothing but the devil.." I shake my head as I reach into the side compartment and pull out a map, "Aight boy.. Where to?" I lay it over the dashboard and try to find out current location as James sniffed the paper and watched my hands.

"Now we could go to Florida but your too hairy and I'm lazy." I tap my chin as I watch the dog eye the map. His eyes scanning before stopping. His snout presses against the eastern area. "East? You want me to get some Peenumonia?" I raise a brow as the dog nods it's head before pressing his snout east again.

"How about.. PA? Long ass drive but maybe I can get us a flight there.." I frown as close my eyes, trying to picture a way to get there. The paper moves again and I see him press his snout against Maine. "The hell up there? Canada?" I blow him off before leaning back in my chair, "Who I look like goin to Maine?" The car jolts a bit as I angrily press the gas.

James growls before biting the map and taking it from my hands. I raise my hand, "Don't get slapped!" He gives me a side eye as I grab the map back, taking my eyes off the road, "Now why don't we just go to PA?" He gives me a 'are you serious?' look before turning to the window.

I ain't never in my God Given life seen a dog that moved its eyebrows like that. Let alone actually scrunch it's nose and scowl. Ain't nun but the Devil.

"For a dog, you got a big ass attitude." I grumble and hear him growl back. I raise a brow, "Oh really? That's how ya feel?" I look over at him as he watches out the window. Clearly ignoring me.

"We ain't goin so you might as well lose that got damn attitude." I snap and turn back to the road.
_____________

The scenery was nothing but dust, hills, and rocks. The sun painted the sky a warm orange as it began to rest its head behind the hills to let the moon take its place among the clouds.

James had sat there the whole time, pouting like a brat. Even bribing him with the promise of stopping for hotdogs wasn't enough for the damn thing.

"Anyone ever tell you that you're a brat?" I grumble and watch him finally look over at me, a bored expression on his face. "They were right. You're as bad as Olivia." His ears perked at her name but he quickly played it off with a soft huff.

I smile at his attention,"I see you took a likin' to her."  I chuckle at the thought of them playing in the barn, scaring my goats half to death and ruin-in my hay bales. "Olivia loves you and that's big." I continue, making him slowly turn towards me. "She has this big shining personality that she only lets a few people see." I sigh softly at the memory of the wild child. Her crazy curls framing her face as her smile took up most of it. "Goofy lil' thing she is.. Her father ain't change her and I'm proud." My chest puffs slightly as a smile lifts at my lips.

James sighed softly, his head resting on the dashboard but his eyes still watched me. "Her father's a bad man.. Found out my Angel was pregnant and promised to stay.. Two years later he's hitting on her and screaming at my little girls.. Of course I ain't know at the time." My hand tightens on the wheel as I look at the road, "She was good at smiling and he was better at lying.. Wasn't til I saw Olivia with a bruise on her cheek standin' on my porch with her mama that I learned what was truly goin on.. Damn near shot that bastard if the cops hadn't already got him." Disgust twisted in my gut as my hands tightened on the wheel.

"She ain't never gone worry about it again.. I'll make sure of it.." My eyes locked on his, understanding and anger swirling in his own.

I focus back on the road and the stars that sparkled above it.