14

Hushed voices talked quickly as sunlight attacked my eyes from the sliver between the thick motel curtains. My poor back ached for more sleep but I knew better than to delay our trip even further.

A wet nose pressed against my cheek repeatedly, making me look over at James who looked towards the window, his ears high and alert. "What is it, boy?" I whisper and he growls quietly, making me sit up and look at the window.
Two shadows outlined in the curtains talked hurriedly as one pointed to the door, "Let's just grab the damn demon and go! We don't have time for back up!" One voice hissed as it moved towards the door. The shadow reached for the other, stopping it, "We don't know what kind of Demon it is or who it could even be! We could die or fail the mission!" The other hissed and I look to James who had climbed off the bed and made his way to the bathroom.

I silently slip off of bed and follow him as he stops by the sink, "What?" I ask and hear the front door handle jiggle, "I'm going in!" The first voice yelled before bursting the door in. I quickly shut the bathroom door listen as they rummage through the room angrily, "Where are they?!" One yells and I look around for something to protect myself.

Toothbrush? I could stab him in the eye.. no.
Loofa? Suffocate him and fight the other.. no..
Shower curtain? Blind them and run..

Who the hell do I think I am? I ain't no James Bond, damnit..

My foot clanked against metal and I look down to see a fire extinguisher. I pick it up silently and look at James, whose eyes looked alert but excited as he stepped towards the door.

"It's just the bathroom left.. They can't be that stupid." The second voice laughs as the door handle jiggles and pushes open. I don't wait to see his face before swinging the extinguisher and busting him on his head. "Oh shit!" I look at the knocked out body then over to the next man who looked just as surprised, "You old bastard!" He cursed as he lunged for me only to be met by a fire extinguisher to the stomach.

I yell as I clutch my back as he clutches his gut, "Fuck!" He curses and I nod my head, "I'm too old for this shit!" I angrily struggle to hobble past him but he reaches for my leg, "Ain't too old to die!" He grins as he yanks my leg but I grip the dresser, "Get off ya damn ba-" A vicious growl cut me off as James latches onto the man's neck before shaking his head side to side, ripping the flesh to shreds. The man's scream turned to gurgling then a heavy silence.

His fist fell limp and I quickly rip my leg away before looking at James who was already walking out the door. I sigh and step over the corpse before quickly following James to the car.

He waited patiently as I unlocked the car and opened the door himself before jumping in. My eyes widen as I watch him, the thought of ending that man's life not even bothering him as blood covered his muzzle.

"James!" I yell as I get in the seat next to him. His eyes snapped to me as I angrily started the car, "You ain't have to kill him! Now I don't wanna see that shit again!" I yell as I pull out of the parking lot and rush down the road. "You done gripped that man's neck like a wild animal!" He looked at me bored before huffing and looking out his window. "Don't you go and ignore me! You kilt dat man!" I pop the back of his head and earn a small grow but he looks back at me.

"I'd get on ya more but we survived.. No more killin people.. Got it?" I look to him and he stares at me for a moment before sighing and looking away, "Good. Now let's get sumn to eat.. And some damn Advil."