12

The truck sputtered loudly as we pulled up to the gas station. The pumps were faded and metal, making me suspicious if this place was even open."CASH ONLY" Was painted over the original sign. I reach into my wallet and pull out a twenty before stepping out the truck.

Dust swirled around below my shoes as I stepped up to the old worn down building. I squinted as a man stood behind the counter, a magazine in his hands as he leaned against his hand lazily. "Hello?" I greet as I swing open the glass doors. His eyes snapped to mine, "Gas?" He questions answered I nodded, "And a snack." I mumble and walk towards the counter.

He was quick to grab the twenty from me before holding it up to the dim light, "Real." He mumbles, his hazel eyes narrowing before he puts it into the cash register. "Pump 4." I mumble and glare at him before heading back out. He huffs but doesn't say anything else.

James sat in the car silently, watching our surroundings with careful eyes. "Ain't nothing to see.. We on the back roads." I grab the pump and put it into the truck, "Might be a motel around for me to sleep.. Not sure tho." I mumble more to myself and earn a huff from the dog.

"I'll get us some snacks. Jerky?" I look at him and he looks at the store than back at me before huffing and laying his head on the dashboard. "I'll take that as a yes." I chuckle before putting the pump back and walking into the store.

A truck pulled up outside the store. It's all black windows and black sleek design screamed "Danger" as men stood up and climbed out from inside. I narrow my eyes but keep my head low as I slip on my hat. I grab a handful of Jerky and another handful of random shit before rushing to the front.

"You feedin a family?" The cashier gives me a side eye before ringing up my items slowly. I sigh, "Could ya go any slower?" I snap back and watch his frown deepen but his hands move faster. "13.60" he grumbles and I give him cash before heading straight out.

The men stood by the truck, nosily watching James who stared back grumpily. "S'cuse ya.." I frown and they eye me for a moment before stepping aside. "What kind of dog is that?" One asks as I climb in my car. I close the door shut and lock it, "The kind I own." He frowns deeply before reaching into his pocket and pulling out a badge, "F.B.I services.. We are here to collect the.." He pauses as he looks at James, his eyes narrowing before looking back at me, his green eyes piercing, "Dog." I shake my head, "It's mine. Bye." Without waiting for an answer, I take off down the road.

I look out the rear view mirror and watch the man stare at my car retreating down the road. I sigh softly and look to James who had been sniffing greedily though the bags. I pull out a slim Jim and open it, "Here." He greedily takes it, damn near taking my hand with it. I curse as I snatch my hand back, "Damn dog!"

___________

The motel lights we dim and gloomy but we were desperate to finally rest. I look up and down the walk way before climbing out the door, "If someone gets close, scare'm off." James huffs softy before looking out the window.

My feet crunched on the grey gravel as I made my way to the front office. "Hello?" I call in as I swing the door open. An old woman watched me carefully, her deep hazel eyes narrowing as a frown made its way on her lips, "Room for one?" She takes out a pen and paper and I nod my head. She gives me a key and I pass her twenty before slipping back outside.

James paced around inside the car as he watched me come back, his eyes wildly looking around. I frown and open the door, "What?" He points to the office and I roll my eyes, "Just a old hag in there.. Nothin to be worried about. Now c'mon." James huffed angrily but climbed out the car as I opened the door.

He seemed relieved as his feet his the ground again. His butt arched in the air as he stretched hard and yawned loudly. I chuckle and pat his head, "Room 6." Despite bein a dog, he always knew what I was saying. He was intelligent and had his own grumpy personality like me.

The keys jingled in the lock before the door swung open to reveal the old dusty room. I sigh loudly and don't bother taking off my shoes as I step inside. "I know there is roaches so just lay on top the bed.. Bed bugs is dangerous.." I grumble as I peel back the sheets which were surprisingly clean and new looking. James sniffs the air before huffing and climbing onto the bed.

"Imma take that as safe." I chuckle softly and climb in next to him. My eyes instantly felt heavy as I finally relaxed myself for the first time in a few days. With nothing left to say, we both drifted off in a deep sleep.