Two+

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song---------}

"Sweet Sacrifice" By Evanescence.

Two+

Shakily I bring the coffee cup to my lips and swallow the warm bitterness from it. I usually don’t like coffee but after waking up with claw marks and floating high enough to nearly kiss the ceiling I have decided that sleeping isn’t an option anymore. I’d love to say this is the first incident of this kind of shit happening to me since waking up but I’d be lying.

When I first came into consciousness in the hospital I tried to escape. I ripped all the tubes from my body, leaving IV holes open to drip my blood onto the floor as I fell out of my bed. I couldn’t move my legs and that was extremely scary. I also couldn’t speak; my throat was so dry that the only thing that came out was raspy squeals. Eventually a nurse came running when my heart monitor started making noises do to me apparently flat lining but instead found me on the floor hyperventilating. She called in the doctors and soon I was being prodded from every angle like some sick science experiment. The weird shit started happening.

Electronics and monitors would short circuit when they tried to hook them to me. I would wake up in totally different ends of the hospital with no idea how I got there. I kept having strange and slight scary hallucinations that I decided to keep to myself in case they would want to keep me longer. And of course the nightmares started happening and they were pretty fucked up but last night...last night was a totally different thing.

Raising the coffee to my mouth again I curl my shoulders in as a few people walk past me. I should probably leave. I’ve been here for going about four hours just buying coffees and staring into space and from the glances I keep getting from the staff here they’re getting close to approaching me. They most likely think I’m crazy or something. I feel crazy but I know I’m not. Crazy people don’t know they’re crazy.

Grabbing my coat I pull it on over my light blue long sleeve shirt and jeans before pulling my hair out of it. I try to ignore the wave of dizziness that overcomes me but just to stop the spinning I put my hands on the table and squeeze my eyes shut. A few deep breaths later I feel a little bit better and pry open my eyes with a lot of effort. I can see this whole not sleeping thing turning out as well for me as it did for those kids in Nightmare On Elm Street.

Keeping my eyes on the floor I don’t see the man approaching me until he hits his huge body against mine knocking me to the ground. I let out a grunt as I land before looking up to see a very handsome man looking down at me with oddly vibrant green eyes. This is matched up with a messy brown Mohawk and ornate swirling black gages in each ear.

The man looks down at me with an expressionless gaze for a second before turning away from me. My mind is telling me that he’s not someone I should want to speak to but my body is shaking with rage. He bumps into me and doesn’t even apologize? Who does he think he is? My body seems to get warmer the longer I stew in my rage until I feel a sweat break over my body under my coat, a total one-eighty from the shivering mess I was minutes before.

That’s when it starts to happen. A woman screams as one of the machines releases steam so it is billowing through the shop and a piece of it goes flying right past the man’s head to smash into one of the large windows in front. More people scream and run out of the way as I too scramble to my feet. I look over my shoulder at the man as other people start trying to shove their way out of the shop, maybe thinking it’s a fire, to see him staring at me again. This time I see confusion and interest on his face. I don’t see much else of him before I’m pushed all the way out of the store and into the frigid air of outside.