Six+

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song---------}

"Came Back Haunted" By Nine Inch Nails

Six+

“I’ve been having a hard time.” I blurt. Well so much for telling the truth. “With everything happening so fast, I’ve been having a hard time…adjusting.”

Sasha narrows his eyes as he stares at me, “Adjusting. What about yesterday? You said you saw something on the wall when they’re was nothing there.”

My eyes shift over to Wyatt for a second before I lower my head and mumble, “I was mistaken.”

“Maybe we should get you into some sort of therapy.” Sasha sighs, running a hand over his face tiredly. “Seeing things can’t be good either. Maybe we should have you checked out at the hospital.”

“I-If that’s what you think will help.” I stutter out through my suddenly dry throat. I really don’t want to do that but what other choice do I have? Sasha will think I’m either back on drugs or insane. Both will have him putting me into some kind of hospital so why not do it his way until I can figure out a plan.

“It can’t hurt right?”

Hugging myself I shake my head, “No, I guess not.”

“Okay.” He sighs before giving me a small smile, “We’re going to get through this okay? Just don’t run off like that on me again. You scared me.”

“I know. I’m sorry.”

Cupping my face with one rough hand Sasha rubs his callused thumb under my eye before patting my cheek. “Forgiven but not forgotten.”

“I didn’t think so.” I smile a little. “Um, you didn’t happen to bring me new clothes did you?”

Lorna steps in then holding up a plastic bag, “Right here, honey.”

“Thank you.” I say softly before grabbing the bag. Turning to Mr. Moore I ask, “Is there a place I can…”

“Of course.” He smiles but it’s tight as he point towards the door, “To your left is an employees bathroom. Your other clothes are drying in there.”

“Okay, thank you.”

Getting up from under the blankets I catch Sasha’s gaze harden and his jaw clench, “Whose clothes are you wearing?”

I open my mouth to lie again but Wyatt’s voice cuts in too quick, “Mine.”

Sasha’s blue eyes slice over to Wyatt instantly. “Why is she in your clothes?”

“Because she needed dry clothes.”

“Did you undress her?” Sasha demands stepping towards Wyatt on the couch.

Wyatt, to his credit, stands up and faces my uncle head on, “She could have died if she didn’t get warm.”

“Don’t give me that shit, boy. Did. You. Undress. Her?”

“Yes.”

Sasha’s fist rams into Wyatt’s jaw making him fall back on his ass. Mr. Moore is on his feet in seconds as Lorna comes around to block Sasha’s advancing figure. I in turn go to Wyatt and kneel beside him, taking a hold of his face. Wyatt shakes his head before lifting his gaze to meet mine, his lower lip split and starting to swell.

“Are you okay?” I ask caressing his jaw lightly.

I watch a small smile spread across his lips, “I’ve been better. Man, the uncle of yours sure can throw a punch huh?”