Roses

"Everybody knows that you are so beautiful. But I feel a thorn in my hide I should've known, we can't repair what we broke."

Thick white smoke rose into the air

Thick white smoke rose into the air. The tight, enclosed space smelling strongly of marijuana making Nas feel even more euphoric then he would have felt if he was to smoke in a well ventilated room. His lyrics were written on the long white looseleaf parchment paper. "That was good man do it again." Jungle said releasing the speaker button. "I wanna go back to redo that first verse." Jungle nodded making the engineer start again. He placed the blunt down onto the ashtray and cleared his throat. Six hours of non stop recording was starting to make his throat sore. Lifting the paper to his eyes he readied himself for the beat to start.

The recording studio was dark and cold, just how he liked it

The recording studio was dark and cold, just how he liked it. Everyone would bring long sleeved tee shirts and sweaters when they had to sit in on a session with Nas. He preferred the studio sessions cold to keep him woke. Long hours in the studio would make him tired and the cold would make it virtually impossible for him to fall asleep so he made the studio as uncomfortable as possible. He heard the break in the beat so he started.

"Bye baby, I guess you knew why I walked away.
When we walked to the altar that was an awesome day.
Did counseling, couldn't force me to stay.
Something happens when you say I do, we go astray.
Why did we mess it up? We was friends, we had it all.
Reason you don't trust men, that was ya daddy fault.
He in the grave let it go he no longer living.
Said you caught him cheating with mom, fucking other women.
Fuck that gotta do with us, here's the keys to the newest truck.
Birkin bags, we burnin' cash, now baby do it up.
No matter who you fuck, that was before me.
Wanted you as my shorty since before I saw you screamin'.
"Hate you so much right now".
Should've saw the man in angry black women.
Actions of a demon, I'm leaving".

The morning he laid with Ashanti he wrote the lyrics to the song he recorded. Waking up to a text message from Kelis asking to renegotiate their visitation schedule threw him over the edge; instead of messaging her back he called Dianne and then wrote the song he wanted to be his first single. It wasn't recorded in the 'typical' Nas fashion. There were no metaphors or secrecy involved with this song. He laid all their business out on the track. He wanted people to understand what he had gone through. The title 'Black Couple Excellence' given to them was only valid until 7:30 PM, after that all bets were off. Like werewolves they transformed into something or rather, someone else. He couldn't understand it, he was a man wanting to spend time with his son and he was being denied even the smallest access to him. He was embarrassed of the woman he chose to marry.