Daughters

"Don't think I'm slow, I know you probably had that chronic lit. You 17, I got a problem with it. She looked at me like I'm not the cleanest father figure but she rocking with it."

Nas sat in the grey swivel chair at Premier Music Studios on 723 7th Ave. AZ stood behind him, both men's heads moving to the music playing. Their phones had been turned off and they were fully submerged into the music. A joint hung between his fingers and a thumb pressed against his temple, his eyes visualizing the components that fused together creating the music he envisioned. "It's coming along." Az said squinting his eyes making a disgusted face hearing Olu play the sax on an interval of a song.

Salaam Remi nodded his head looking over at Nas. If he wasn't so well acquainted with him he would have thought he didn't like the song. His concentration was to filter out any imperfections. If there was an tweaking needed he'd do it at this stage. Salaam was a popular producer with an extensive career spanning a 25 year run. His first known record produced was for Kurtis Blow a popular New York rapper who penned the song Magilla Gorilla. The song received a lot of mixed reviews but it got his beat out there.

A knock sounded on the door. The men's heads all turned around to view who was disturbing their session. A short white man walked into the room, his cell phone in hand. "Have you checked your phone recently?" He asked looking at Nas. Nas scrunched his face up, "No, I turn my phone off when I record." He said giving the man his attention. "What's going on?" The man shook his head, "Something about Destiny-." Nas quickly stood and crossed the room. Heading to the tray that sat in a lockbox by the door he removed his iPhone powering it on.

Multiple notifications were coming through on his phone. His heart rate started to increase seeing his daughter's mother, Carmen had called him multiple times. This was unusual, the two only spoke twice a month; this particular day she called 4 times back to back. Carmen and Nas had a good relationship, they barely ever argued. The only time they had disagreed was when it came to how they wanted to raise Destiny. When they separated there weren't any hard feelings. They entered into a relationship as friends and departed as friends. If anything the respect they both had for each other somewhat grew after they parted ways.

He tapped Carmen's name in his phone placing the phone up to his ear; the phone barely rang once before she answered. "What's going on?!" He asked his face tight with anger. "Destiny she.." Carmen deeply sighed releasing a rough growl, "She placed a box of condoms on her dresser and uploaded it on the internet. I don't know what's been on her mind lately." Nas rubbed his temples. "I'll be on the next flight out." Carmen hummed in response. AZ was staring at him waiting on an explanation, Destiny was his goddaughter. Anything involving her he was made aware of just as Nas was.

Nas's fingers moved across his phone quickly as he texted Ant to have a jet powered up and ready to get him to the west coast to tend to his child. Lifting his head he looked at AZ, "Destiny posting shit on the internet." He said shaking his head. AZ reached for his phone in the lockbox as Nas crossed the room to thank Salaam and let him know they'd have to reschedule their session for another time. Salaam understood, he had a house full of 4 girls he'd drop everything for his babies in a heartbeat. Nas had given Olivia the day off today, he didn't expect to have to be doing too much today. Now, he was walking fast out the studio with AZ on his heels.

"I'm coming with you too man. I ain't seen Des in a couple months." Nas nodded. AZ and Jungle were the only men he would trust around his child. For a long time Nasir was the only man Destiny had access too. He had heard too many horror stories about little girls being taken advantage of and he didn't want that for her. He'd throw away his life for his children, especially his oldest whom he had somewhat favored over his son. "I spoke to AJ, he'll meet us when we land." AZ said. The car had directed them to the Teeterboro hangar. Upon their arrival Nas could see the music artists waiting patiently to be announced to depart.