CHAPTER 2: I AM MEETING HIM

"Remember, keep smiling, be polite, walk like a lady, just copy your sister, and do not touch any of the food and do not talk to anyone except the Blacks."

"Yes, mom."

I link my arm with my dad and we walk into the building, while Alexandra walks with mom behind us. There are so many rich people here that even the air smells expensive. How they walk and drink, how they talk in conversations, obviously about business, they seem so elegant and classy. And those smiles.. ugh, fake. Those are the "money smile".

"Keep looking forward and walk in a straight line. Don't look around. Here comes the Blacks. Keep smiling and greet them politely after I introduce you to them."

"Yes, father."

I look up and see the intimidating but charismatic face of Dimitri Black. His presence always seems to attract everyone. Beside him is Paulina Black, his wife. People always say that my mom is the most beautiful wife, but if she's in the same room with Paulina, she'll lose the title. Behind them, there it is, Xavier Black wearing a maroon tuxedo. The mesmerizing 24-year-old with blue eyes and dark brown hair, very tall compared to me with his 6'5" figure according to google, and well-built body. By now, almost all of the people are looking at us.

My mom comes to stand beside dad and I back out a little to stand beside Alexandra. She smiles at me and holds my hand as a sign that everything is going to be okay.

"Dimitri, Paulina. Nice to see you again," my father started.

"No need to be so formal, Richard. Hey, Georgina." Dimitri seems so intimidating but when he smiles, I feel the urge to smile too. He seems nice.

"Hello, Richard, Georgina. It's been a while since we meet at this kind of event. Let's lose the business vibe." Paulina seems nice too, like Dimitri. When she was walking she seemed like royalty, she got that vibe that tells people that she's an important person, but when she smiles, she seems very humble and friendly.

"Oh, I almost forgot sorry. This is Xavier, my son."

"Good evening, Mr. and Mrs.Helmingway." Xavier greets them with his raspy and heavy voice. So sexy.

"This is my older daughter, Alexandra." Mom and dad look at her smiling, beaming with pride on their face.

"Good evening Mr and Mrs.Black. Nice to meet you." Alexandra says politely with her soft voice.

"Oh my, what a beauty you are," says Paulina.

"Thank you, Paulina. She is. She's a Victoria Secret angel," says mom.

"This my youngest daughter, Jess," dad says while looking at me.

"Good evening, Mr and Mrs.Black"

"Jess Helmingway, wow. I saw you in the newspaper. Graduated with a perfect score and the valedictorian, at Harvard. What was your major, Jess ?" Dimitri Black asks me. I am so happy. So freaking happy that someone actually recognizes me because of what I achieve not because I am the daughter of Richard Helmingway.

"I took International Relations, sir," I say politely.

"No need for the formality, just call me Dimitri. I also heard that you took some classes too about the criminal justice system? How was it? was it hard studying at Harvard?"

"Yes, I took some classes about the criminal justice system. But it's not hard at all because both International Relations and Criminal Justice are the two subjects that I am always gonna be interested in."

"Such a smart girl. And charming also." Paulina says.

"Thank you."

Both of our families head to the same round table to sit together. There's still 45 minutes before the actual auction starts, and I know what the 45 minutes will be spent for. Specifically, talking about. I sit beside my father on my left side and Xavier on my right side. Besides Xavier is Mr. Black and Mrs.Black. Besides my father is mom and Alexandra.

"So let me get right into the point. Who's going to marry Xavier? Jess or Alexandra?" Dimitri says in a not so friendly tone anymore, his intimidating side coming out. I know why because this is business.

I am kind of annoyed that when everyone talks about this issue, this marriage arrangement, they talk about it like some kind of business and agreement, it's not wrong. But it's about someone's life too. It's about someone's future and relationship and feeling. It's not supposed to be about business, it's not supposed to be planned. It's not supposed to be about money.

"Jess will be the one marrying Xavier," my father says calmly. I keep looking down on my hand playing with my cream painted nails. I hate getting my nails painted. When I look on my right, Xavier is looking like he's not affected by any of this. Or he's just using his poker face to keep his emotion inside.

"I agree, I think Jess will be a better match for Xavier," Paulina says. This is all wrong. They are talking about this like we're in a reality show where they pick their match to go home with $1.000.000.

"The marriage will be in 1 month. Specifically on the 28th of November," dad says like it's nothing important. But I can't help myself.

"What? In one month?" I exclaim. Not loudly, but enough for everyone to hear.

"What do you mean what? You are going to marry Xavier in one month. Do I need to repeat myself?"

"No father."

"After the auction, I heard there's a little after-party that involves drinking in the rooftop. So we will discuss the marriage then. And Jess and Xavier can get to know each other a bit." Dimitri says.

☆☆☆☆☆

After some time, finally, the auction started. The person leading the auction explained that every bit of the money that they get from the auction today will be sent to orphanages across USA. It goes from trips to jewels, from paintings to sculptures. I don't really pay attention to the whole thing. But I sure realize that dad and Mr. Black bid a lot. It's not surprising, they are both two of the richest men in the USA. Just see, tomorrow both of their faces will be on the headlines.

Finally, the last thing comes out. It is a diamond. I know that diamond because I love history. The Hope Diamond. It is believed to be valued in the hundreds of millions of dollars range, but it has not been bought or sold in hundreds of years. It was originally in the collection of Louis XIV but was eventually donated by Harry Winston to the Smithsonian Institute back in 1958. The Smithsonian has held the diamond on display ever since. Weighing in at 45.52 carats, this deep blue diamond is a truly magnificent specimen, but its value goes beyond just the weight and appearance. It has significant cultural value, and its high profile makes it an incredibly valuable item. And I know mom wants this. But I also know that it's so freaking expensive. Even the bid starts from $200 million. No one makes a sound but I know all of the ladies in the room want the diamond. No bid or anything. If no one bids on it, they won't lower the price because truthfully, I too think that the  diamond belongs in the museum. That's when the battle of throwing money between the Blacks and the Helmingway starts.

"205!" dad starts

"210!" Mr. black counters

"215!" dad loves mom so much for this.

"220!" Well, Mr. Black loves his wife too.

"250!" The heck so expensive. But then I realize that it's Xavier.

Xavier got the diamond.