Partnerships in the Night

Marinette got out of the shower, drying her hair with a towel.  She sat on her bed in her fluffy pink bathrobe and caught a glimpse of the framed photograph on her nightstand.  It was her with Alya, Nino and Adrien, hanging out on the bridge above the Seine.  They were beaming happily, blissfully unaware of the trials that awaited them in the near future.

Tikki noticed her chosen's sad, wistful stare at the picture.  "Still thinking about what Henri said?"

Marinette nodded with a sigh.  "I just...I hate to admit it, but what he said makes sense.  What if he's right?  What if I am making excuses for them out of nostalgia?"

Tikki fidgeted.  She didn't want to tell Marinette that something about Henri felt...off to her.  She couldn't place her finger on it, but it was there.  It was in the way he walked, the way he talked, the way he smiled.  But he made Marinette so bright and happy, she couldn't bring herself to destroy that, especially since she didn't have any specifics.

Marinette got up.  "Whatever, I think I'll just sleep on it."  She went to get her pajamas and turn in for the night.
------------------
"So...you're the infamous Hawkmoth."

Gabriel nodded.  He and Lila stood in his lair, with Henri, have welcomed him into their circle.  The brunette boy cocked a brow.  "So...why do want me here?"

"We all want the same thing, LeRoi.", said Lila with a smirk.  "We all want the class to be miserable.  He wants them miserable so he can akumatize them.  I want them miserable so I can turn them into my followers.  And you want them miserable...just because."

"Before you came along,", explained Gabriel.  "The plan was to turn the class against Marinette Dupain-Cheng, then set scarlet akumas on the rest of them when they're feeling betrayed.  Miss Dupain-Cheng is a good leader.  That way, she'd be so full of anger she could lead the akumas to victory against Ladybug and Chat Noir."  He smirked.  "However...you've given me a better idea."

Henri smirked back.  "I'm listening..."

"Marinette is the most beloved girl in that class.", said Gabriel.  "She is their hero.  Their savior.  They adore her.  They treasure her."  He grinned like a vicious predator.  "Well...what could devastate them more than to have their Everyday Ladybug turned against them?  To have the one they love and cherish most sever her ties with them?"

Lila snickered.  "They'll be totally destroyed."

"And Marinette herself will be, too, if she thinks that the people she once called her friends, for whom she stood up and sacrificed, were truly nothing but liars and bullies the whole time.", said Gabriel.  "They'll all be easy prey for my akumas."

Henri looked at them both funny.  "What's in it for me?"

Lila sputtered.  "What?!  You get Marinette all to yourself!  Just like you wanted!"

Henri rolled his eyes.  "Please.  That's mine to take, not yours to give."

Gabriel examined him with a stern pout.  This boy was confident that he could succeed in claiming Marinette entirely without any outside help.  And, as much as Gabriel didn't want to admit it, he definitely could.  He had been watching Henri.  He'd barely been around Marinette for a month, and he had made significant progress breaking her down towards her classmates.  He was good.  That's why Hawkmoth and Lila wanted him on their team.

"What do you want?", asked Gabriel.

Henri smirked.  "A modeling contract.  Just like Lila.  And whenever Marinette submits winning designs to your company, which she will, I get to model them instead of Adrien."

Gabriel nodded.  "Deal."

Henri smiled.  "Have to warn you, though...Adrien might get some backlash.  I think he's got a thing for my Maribelle."

Lila rolled her eyes.  "Even if he does, he's gonna be mine, one way or another."

Gabriel nodded.  "Don't worry about Adrien.  He might go through some hardship, but its all to get his mother back.  Once our mission succeeds, he won't give two needle pricks about Miss Dupain-Cheng.  He'll be completely happy for the rest of his days."

He held out his hand to Henri.  "We are in agreement?"

Henri smirked as he accepted the handshake.  "We are."
---------------
Marinette was climbing into bed when her phone pinged.  Henri's name appeared on the screen.

Good night & sweet dreams, my beautiful girl.

Marinette smiled softly.  She texted him back.

Sweet dreams, mon cher.

She laid her head down, blissfully ignorant of what Henri had in store for her and her friends.