Setting for Disaster

Marinette snuggled up next to Henri, nuzzling her face into the crook of his neck.  "Thanks for coming over, Henri.  I really needed someone right now."

"Of course, Maribelle.", he cooed, rubbing her shoulder soothingly.  "I will always be here when you need me."

She sighed.  "I just...this doesn't feel...real.  Not being friends with Alya.  From the day we met, I thought she was going to be my best friend forever.  I thought she was going to be someone I could always count on..."

"Well, life's like that.", he mused.  "People let you down.  There's nothing you can do about it 'cept move on."

Just then, both their phones dinged with messages.  They pulled away to check.

"Huh, that's weird.", he said.  "Chloé just invited me to a party at her dad's hotel."

"Me, too.", said Marinette.

"Why would she invite you and me?", Henri said.  "She hates you, and me by extension.  Why would she invite us anywhere?"

"I dunno, and I don't care.", huffed Marinette, casting her phone on the couch next to her.  "I'm not going.  I'm not in the mood to go anywhere, let alone to a party hosted by that bratty snob."

"As, c'mon, Maribelle...aren't you a little curious?  Besides, maybe a party is just the thing you need to get your mind off things.  I'll be there for you the whole time.  I promise."

She smiled at him a little.  "Well...if you're there with me...I guess a peek wouldn't hurt."
————————————-
Adrien was touching up his makeup for a photoshoot when his phone pinged.  He checked it to see an evite by Chloé.  He sighed in an irritated manner.  Reluctantly, he opened the invitation and pressed the "Not Attending" button before going back to his makeup.

"You're not going to the party?", asked Plagg, sitting on his dresser table.

"Of course not, Plagg.", he replied, his eyes never leaving the mirror.  "I'm smarter than that.  Chloe's pulling the same stunt she did last time I tried to end our friendship.  She's only throwing this party to make me think she's learned her lesson, thinking that's all it will take to convince me to take her back.  But I'm not falling for it.  Not this time.  Chloe's gonna have to do a lot more than that to salvage our friendship."
————————————-
"Come on, Alys..."

Nino was patting his girlfriend's back as they walked into the hotel lobby.  "This will be fun.  Free food, good music, a great time, all on Chloé."

"Yeah, Alya!", chirped Lila.  "This is the perfect way to take your mind off of She-Who-Shall-Not-Named and his blood-sucking boyfriend!  Some fun with real friends, while leeching off that spoiled brat's money, is just the medicine you need!"

Alya stood up straight, looking around.  "Maybe you're right.", she said as they walked into the party room.  "Maybe this is just what I need to get my mind off of—"  She stopped short with a gasp when her eyes fell upon two familiar figures sitting at the bar.

Nino and Lila followed her line of vision to see Henri and Marinette sitting at the bar, laughing and flirting like nothing was wrong.  Alya went rigid, not prepared to face Mari so soon after their BFF breakup.

"What are they doing here?", hissed Nino in her ear.

Sabrina popped up out of nowhere.  "Chloé invited them.  She invited the whole class.  Just like last time."

Alya spun around.  "I gotta get out of here."

Suddenly, Chloé intercepted, staring the Creole girl down.  "Oh, I don't think so!  I invited you!  All of you!  And you're gonna have tons of fun and be happy and lavish in my niceness!"

"But—"

"No buts!  I said you're gonna have fun, and that's what's gonna happen!  Adrien's gonna be here any minute now, and he's going to see you smiling and happy and having a good time, else I'll use Daddy's lawyers to sue your pathetic little Ladyblog for not posting enough about Queen Bee!"  And with that, she flipped her hair and sauntered away.

She walked behind the bar to check on the refreshments.  As she crouched behind the bar, out of sight, she overheard Marinette's voice from the other side.

"I dunno if I can do this, Henri.  I didn't know they'd be here.  I don't feel ready to face them.  Maybe I should go home."

Just when Chloé was about to pop up and give Dupain-Cheng the same scolding she'd given Césaire, she heard LeRoi's smooth, persuasive voice reply.

"Relax, Maribelle.  I'm still here.  We can't let those jerks ruin the fun.  Just pretend they're not here.  Stick with me.  I'm all the company you need."

Chloé was surprised to hear Marinette's response.  "You're right, Henri.  I'm not gonna let them get in my way.  I came here to enjoy myself, and that's what I'm gonna do.  Thanks for reminding me."

Chloé lifted her head and peeled out just in time to see her enemy kiss LeRoi on the cheek and pull him out of his chair for a dance.  The mayor's daughter could not tear her gaze away from the young couple.

Chloé was not interested in Dupain-Cheng's personal life in the slightest.  But as the school head mean girl for years, she had a way of scoping out threats to her power and other bullies, a trait that her mother had passed down to her.  And ever since meeting that LeRoi, Chloe's jerk instincts had been tingling stronger than they ever had before, even stronger than when she had first met Lila Rossi.

Back then, Chloé had ignored her instincts.  And thanks to Adrien, she now knew that said instincts had been right all along.  This time, she thought it'd be wiser to act on them.  But that was for another day.  Right now, she had to focus on winning Adrien back.  Where was he anyway?
——————————-
The phone rang for the fifteenth time that hour.  Everyone kept trying to ignore it and continue with the shoot peacefully, but it was getting harder and harder.  Luckily, Vincent managed to get the shots he needed and dismissed the young Agreste, who snatched up his phone and dashed into his dressing room.

Plagg came out of hiding and saw Adrien just staring at Chloe's photo on his screen as it buzzed, indicating that she was the one trying to call him.  "Aren't you going to answer it?"

"If I do, I'll have to explain to her why I'm not coming to her party, and she'll get upset and akumatized."

"She might get akumatized anyway if she thinks you're blowing her off.", Plagg pointed out.

Adrien sighed.  "You're right...". He bit his lip.  "I know!  First, I'll transform and go to a rooftop near the hotel, then I'll call her and explain.  Then if she gets akumatized, I'll be ready!"

"Sounds like a plan."

"Plagg, claws out!"