Chapter 4: The Dementor

I wake up early the next morning to get ready for the train ride. I put on a simple yet fashionable grey sweater paired with designer black jeans with a hole in one of the knees, and I pair it with black sneakers. I put on light makeup and for my hair, I put it in a fishtail braid poof half up half down look. Once I'm done, it's already time to head out for King's Cross, and I'm the last one there. It's not easy, getting all of the luggage and two owls into the Ministry cars - Maple still isn't back - but we manage it. I get in a car with Fred, George, and Ginny. Not much happens on this trip, but I do notice that these Ministry cars are able to fit through really small spaces. We reach the station with twenty minutes to spare; the Ministry drivers find us carts, unload our trunks, and drive away.

"Right then," Mr. Weasley says when we reach the station. "Let's do this in pairs, as there are so many of us. I'll go through first with Harry." After them are Percy and Ginny, and then Fred and I. Once everyone is here, Harry whispers to me, "I need to speak with you, Ron, and Hermione," I nod. "Fred, can you take my luggage and find us a compartment? Harry wants to see me," I say. He nods and goes off. I follow the other three to a compartment at the back of the train. After ten minutes, the train takes off. In our compartment, is a grown man. "Who d'you reckon he is?" Ron hisses. "Professor R. J. Lupin," whispers Hermione. "How d'you know that?" "It's on his case," she replies and points. "What were you wanting to tell us, Harry?" I ask.

Harry talks about an argument between Mr. and Mrs. Weasley's argument and a warning Mr. Weasley gave him. "Sirius Black escaped to come after you?" I ask. "Oh, Harry, you'll have to bee really, really careful. Don't go looking for trouble, Harry -" "I don't go looking for trouble. Trouble usually finds me." "How thick would Harry have to be, to go looking for a nutter who wants to kill him?" Ron asks shakily. Harry doesn't seem to be taking this seriously enough. A wizard who can kill 13 people with a single curse is a really powerful wizard that he doesn't want to piss off.

"No one knows how he got out of Azkaban," says Ron uncomfortably. "No one's ever done it before. And he was a top-security prisoner too." "But they'll catch him, won't they?" asks Hermione earnestly. "I mean, they've got all the Muggles looking for him too..." "What's that noise?" says Ron suddenly. I listen, and I can hear a tiny sort of whistling coming from Harry's trunk. "It's coming from your trunk, Harry," I say. I stand up and reach into the luggage rack. Then, I pull out something I've only seen in books. A Sneakoscope. It's spinning very fast and glowing brilliantly. "Is that a Sneakoscope?" asks Hermione. "Yeah... mind you, it's a very cheap one," Ron says. "It went haywire just as I was tying it to Errol's leg to send it to Harry." "Were you doing anything untrustworthy at the time?" I ask with my eyebrows raised.

"No! Well... I wasn't supposed to be using Errol. You know he's not really up to long journeys... but how else was I supposed to get Harry's present to him?" "Stick it back in the trunk," Harry says as the Sneakoscope whistles. "Or it'll wake him up." He nods to Professor Lupin and I stuff it back in the suitcase. "We could get it checked in Hogsmeade," says Ron as I sit back down. "They sell that sort of thing in Dervish and Banges, magical instruments and stuff. Fred and George told me." "Do you know much about Hogsmeade?" I ask. "I've read it's the only entirely non-Muggle settlement in Britain -" "Yeah, I think it is," Ron says in an offhand way. "But that's not why I want to go. I just want to get inside Honeydukes!" "What's that?" I ask. "It's this sweetshop," says Ron, looking off in a dreamy way. "Where they've got everything... Pepper Imps - they make you smoke at the mouth - and great fat Chocoballs full of strawberry mousse and clotted cream, and really excellent sugar quills, which you can suck in class and just look like you're thinking what to write next -"

"But Hogsmeade's a very interesting place, isn't it?" Hermione says eagerly. "In Sites of Historical Sorcery it says the inn was the headquarters for the 1612 goblin rebellion, and the Shrieking Shack's supposed to be the most severely haunted building in Britain -" "- and massive sherbert balls that make you levitate a few inches off the ground while you're sucking them," says Ron, who is clearly not listening to Hermione. "Won't it be nice to get out of school for a bit and explore Hogsmeade?" I ask Harry, since he hasn't said anything. "'Spect is will," says Harry heavily. "You'll have to tell me when you've found out." "What do you mean?" I ask. "I can't go. The Dursleys didn't sign my permission form, and Fudge wouldn't either." Ron looks horrified.