Chapter 13: The Quidditch Final

Harry takes the parchment from Ron and reads it. "They can't do this," says Harry. "They can't. Buckbeak isn't dangerous." "Malfoy's dad's frightened the Committee into it," I say. "You know what he's like. They're a bunch of idiots and they're scared. There'll be an appeal, though," I continue. "I can't see any hope... Nothing will have changed," Hermione says, wiping her eyes. "Yeah, it will," says Ron fiercely. "You won't have to do all the work by yourselves this time. I'll help." To everyone's surprise, Hermione flings her arms around Ron's neck and breaks down completely. I almost bust out laughing at the look on Ron's face. He looks like he's just been asked to defeat ten dementors by himself. He very awkwardly pats the top of her head. Finally, Hermione backs away. "Ron, I'm really, really sorry about Scabbers..." she sobs. "Oh - well - he was old," says Ron. "And he was a bit useless. You never know, Mum and Dad might get me an owl now."

The only time we can comfort Hagrid is during Care of Magical Creatures. He seems numb. "S'all my fault. Got all tongue-tied. They was all sittin' there in black robes an' I kep' droppin' me notes and forgettin' all them dates yeh looked up fer me. An' then Lucius Malfoy stood up an' said his bit, and the Committee jus' did exac'ly what he told 'em..." "There's still the appeal!" says Ron fiercely. "Don't give up yet, we're working on it!" After class, we walk back up to the castle with the rest of the class with Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle walking ahead of us. "S'no good, Ron," says Hagrid as we reach the castle steps. "That Committee's in Lucius Malfoy's pocket. I'm jus' gonna make sure the rest o' Beaky's time is the happiest he's ever had. I owe him that..." Hagrid almost makes me cry. I hear him start to cry and turn around back toward his cabin.

While Harry, Ron, and Hermione are watching Hagrid, I'm keeping my eye on Malfoy. "Look at him blubber!" I'm fuming. I knew Malfoy would say something like this. I can feel my anger start to overflow. Everything he's done this year, is about to bite him in the ass. "Have you ever seen anything quite as pathetic? And he's supposed to be our teacher!" I get to Malfoy before the other three do. I swing my arm back as far as I can and swing it forward, hitting Malfoy smack in the face with as much strength as I can muster, knocking Malfoy straight on the ground. Immediately, I get out my wand and point it at him. "Don't you dare call Hagrid pathetic. You manipulating, foul, evil little BASTARD!"

I can feel someone pulling me back, but I elbow whoever it is in the face. Unfortunately, I'm distracted enough for Malfoy to get up. I keep my wand pointed. "C'mon," Malfoy mutters and in a moment, Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle all go into the castle. Only after I see them disappear, do I put my wand away. "Chloe!" Ron says, sounding stunned. I turn around and see Harry and Ron goggling at me, and Hermione looking a little scared but impressed. "Harry, we have to beat him in the Quidditch final. If he wins again..." I growl. "We're due in Charms," says Ron, still goggling. "We'd better go."

I realize that my mini temper tantrum is making us late, so I let my remaining anger fuels my speed as I practically run to Charms. I make it just in time with Ron, Harry, and Hermione eating my dust. We're working on Cheering Charms, and I'm being paired with Lavender Brown. At the end of the lesson, I find out that Hermione's not in class. The cheering charm Lavender put on me has too big of an effect on me to care though. When lunch rolls around, I see Fred at the table and I get even more happy. "What's got you all happy?" Fred asks as I sit down. "Cheering charms. Also, I slapped Malfoy," I say happily. Fred, George, and Lee all look at me with wide eyes. "Well done! Why'd you do it?" "He was making fun of Hagrid. I decided that it was time that everything he's done this year came back to bite him. He fell to the ground! It felt great!"

The cheering charm starts to wear off after lunch, which is also when Harry, Ron and I go to find Hermione. We find her in the Gryffindor common room. She's sitting at a table, her head resting on an open book. We sit down around her and Harry prods her awake. "Wh - what?" says Hermione suddenly. "Is it time to go? W - which lesson have we got now?" "Divination, but it's not for another twenty minutes. Hermione, why didn't you come to Charms?" I ask. "What? Oh no!" Hermione squeaks. "I forgot to go to Charms!" "But how could you forget?" asks Harry. "You were with us till we were right outside the classroom!" "I don't believe it! Was Professor Flitwick angry? Oh it was Malfoy, I was thinking about him and I lost track of things!"