Chapter 10: The Firebolt

I debate about talking to Harry, ask him if he's okay. I quickly talk myself out of it though. Of course he's not okay. His parents got killed because they were killed by their best friend. I certainly wouldn't be okay if those I love kept a secret as big as that. Besides, Harry doesn't seem to be in the mood to talk. When Harry and Ron go up to the boys' dormitory, I decide to write Carmen and Eleazar a letter.

Dear Carmen and Eleazar,

Hello. I know I haven't really written to you guys. Consider this an appreciation letter. I just found out that my friend has a not-so-nice godfather and that made me really appreciate you guys. Teaching me Spanish, everything about Spanish culture and what Spain was like when you were human. Hell, you guys are more compassionate than a lot of the humans I've met here.

I would ask my parents to visit over Christmas break, but they said I can't go home because of Bella. Their letter was a bit dramatic though. Maybe you could talk to them and ask why the letter was so dramatic? Is there something else going on? Anyway, I've got to go to bed. I've had a long day. See you during the summer (hopefully).

Love,

Chloe

I wake up mid morning the next day, about 9:30. Since it's the first day of break, I can wear what I want! I decide on a thick grey high neck sweater with dark blue jeans and knee high brown boots, and I put on a sapphire necklace. As for my hair, I just comb it out. Turns out, Harry isn't awake yet. Hermione is doing homework, which is spread over three tables. I attempt to talk to her, but she doesn't put much effort into a response. I decide to read more about Voldemort and his death eaters. It's not until around lunch that Harry wakes up. "Harry, you - you look terrible," I tell him. He looks like he barely got any sleep last night.

"Where is everyone?" asks Harry. "Gone! It's the first day of the holidays, remember?" says Ron. "It's nearly lunchtime; I was going to come and wake you up in a minute." Harry slumps in a chair next to the fire. "You really don't look well, you know," I say again. "I'm fine," Harry snaps. I roll my eyes. Does he not know who he's talking to? I don't know about other girls, but I say 'I'm fine' all the time and half the time, I don't really mean it. I could tell from the moment he woke up that something is bothering him. My guess is Sirius Black.

"Harry, listen. You must be really upset about what we heard yesterday. But the thing is, you can't go doing something stupid," I say. "Like what?" asks Harry. "Like trying to go after Black," I say sharply. "You won't, will you, Harry?" Hermione asks anxiously. "Because Black's not worth dying for," says Ron. Harry looks at us. "D'you know what I see every time a dementor gets too near me? I can hear my mum screaming and pleading with Voldemort. And if you'd heard your mum screaming like that, just about to be killed, you wouldn't forget it in a hurry. And if you found out someone who was supposed to be a friend of hers betrayed her and sent Voldemort after her -" "There's nothing you can do!" I interrupt. I look him dead in the eye. He can't seriously be thinking about going after Sirius Black? "The dementors will catch Black and he'll go back to Azkaban and - serve him right!" Hermione says.

"You heard what Fudge said. Black isn't affected by Azkaban like normal people are. It's not a punishment for him like it is for the others." "So what are you saying?" I ask, finally closing my book. "You want to kill Black or something?" "Don't be silly," Hermione says. "Harry doesn't want to kill anyone, do you, Harry?" He doesn't answer. "Malfoy knows," he says out of nowhere. "Remember what he said to me in Potions? 'If it was me, I'd hunt him down myself... I'd want revenge'." I cock an eyebrow. "You're going to take Malfoy's advice instead of ours?" I ask. "Listen... you know what Pettigrew's mother got back after Black had finished with him? Dad told me - the Order of Merlin, First Class, and Pettigrew's finger in a box. That was the biggest bit of him they could find. Black's a madman, Harry, and he's dangerous -" "Malfoy's dad must have told him," says Harry, completely ignoring us. "He was right in Voldemort's inner circle, so obviously, the Malfoy's knew Black was working for Voldemort -" "- and Malfoy'd love to see you get blown into about a million pieces, like Pettigrew! Get a grip. Malfoy's just hoping you'll get yourself killed before he has to play you at Quidditch."