I

-

-

Every single person of the royal family in Highgarden were expected to be at least as great fighters as the royal guards. They were expected to be able to protect the citizens just as any other knight or guard would in case of an attack, wether the enemy be human or non-human.

"Your posture is sloppy today?" Myrcella sighed tiredly as she sheathed her sword and took off her blindfold. "I spent most of yesterday hunting with my brother. I don't think I've ever been so sore, not since I was knocked off of my horse by sir Nikolaus, during my first jousting tournament.." She groaned as she stretched her back painfully.

"Very well then, I suggest you take the rest of the day off, get some rest and a warm bath, it's good for your muscles. Also don't forget to make one of your maids rub your back and shoulders with the ointment I gave you." The man in his early thirties smiled warmly at Myrcella. He'd trained her in swords fight ever since he joined the court as a knight. Back then he was nineteen years old and she'd just turned eight. It was safe to say that the two were more like brother and sister than they were trainer and student. "Thank you sir Carlisle, I will."

Myrcella drew patterns in the water with her hand as she leaned her head back on the edge in pure bliss. She loved feeling so weightless, both physically and psychologically, loved how her mind would always drift off to some fantasy of an adventure or of what used to be. "Myrcella."

"Hmm?"

"Myrcella!" The young woman slowly opened her eyes from her colourful and warm daydream to a sad colour-drained room and cold bath water. "What?" She asked annoyed looking at the person who disturbed her lovely memory.

A pair of brown doe eyes looked down at her caringly. "You'll get sick if you stay in that bath much longer, the water has gotten cold." Myrcella snorted, clearly humoured by her partners words. "Since when did you decide to go all soft Renfri?"

"I didn't go soft, you're just a pain in the arse to take care of when you get sick so I'd rather avoid it." Renfri rolled her eyes as Myrcella stood up. "–What were you dreaming about? You seemed quite.. content."

"The past." Myrcella simply said as she dried herself off and began getting dressed.
"–You've been away for two days? Did something happen?" Renfri smiled as she helped Myrcella tie the strings in her over-the-shirt corset. Even though Myrcella did not wear her silky dresses from Highgarden anymore, she still looked like a princess to Renfri.

"Plans has changed." Renfri smiled her best smile, but she couldn't fool Myrcella. The woman read her like an open book. "Stragobor?" Renfri stayed silent. "–..I'll kill him.."

Renfri chuckled and shook her head at Myrcella's sweet attempt to sound threatening, "You won't." Myrcella looked at her confused. Renfri normally wasn't 'peaceful', in fact, she was usually the one seeking and taking revenge while Myrcella mostly acted like a pacifist.
"Why not? This is the fourth time in one moon he's threatened us." Myrcella asked frustratedly.

"Because this time he got a Witcher involved."

The look on her beautiful face asked Renfri a million questions, "A vatt'ghern?" Myrcella sounded surprised. "I sought him out, followed him into the woods late last evening. He gave me an ultimatum to leave and never return, or to take my revenge and become a monster." Renfri left most of the details for her partner to read between the lines. Myrcella knew what she'd meant though; Witchers kill monsters.

"Then we leave. Let's go elsewhere? I have a friend in Cintra who will let us stay there for a while?" Myrcella suggested shrugging. She was an excellent fighter, curtesy of her past life, but she rarely did fight unless her life, or the life of a loved one, depended on it. It had been like that since Highgarden fell. Myrcella didn't enjoy having the weight of a sword in her hand anymore. "We came for my revenge, I'm not leaving without it."

"Renfri you can't kill a Witcher." Myrcella sighed, opting to speak the mutant name in common tongue. "I can try." Renfri replied sharply.

"Alright, lets go then." Myrcella said as she put on her plates of black leather armour and grabbed her sword. "Wha– You're not coming. It is my fight. I don't want you pulled into this."

"You saved my life, I owe you a debt Renfri." Myrcella reminded the woman, her usually soft face and voice now very serious. "You'll get killed." Renfri tried to shut her down. "And you won't? You know me Renfri, I won't interfere unless you're in danger."

Renfri had loved Myrcella for a long time, and Myrcella knew, so it didn't surprise her that Renfri refused let her fight when there was even the smallest possibility of it being her last one. "I've stayed with you for years now waiting for destiny to give me a chance to repay the favour.. Please." Renfri sighed as she took Mycella's head in both of her small, rough hands. "You drive me crazy. You know that?"

"I won't leave you." Myrcella caressed Renfri's hands as she removed them from her cheeks. "–Destiny wouldn't allow it even if I tried. Not until I've paid my debt anyway." She chuckled making Renfri sigh amused. "I wouldn't allow it even if destiny did." She said kissing her temple tenderly.

Myrcella didn't love Renfri, not romantically. She never had, and Renfri knew that. Ever since she'd saved Myrcella's life back when Nilfgaard attacked Highgarden, the two women had been inseparable though, and wether it was a bond bound by an unpaid debt, or a real friendship, Renfri didn't care, as long as Myrcella was there by her side when she woke up in the morning and there when she went to bed late in the evening.

Myrcella was like a siren to Renfri. Just the sound of her voice was enough to lure Renfri into the deepest and darkest pits of hell. But she had that effect on most people anyway. "You'll be the death of me Mercy."

"You know I hate that nickname." Myrcella rolled her eyes, a smile playing on her lips as she headed for the door. "I know." Renfri smirked.

Myrcella shook her head in an upgiving manner at her friend. "You should gather your men, we need them to stall the Witcher for as long as we possibly can while we wait for Stragobor."

"I already have plan for that."

-