XV

-

-

Myrcella was aware that she was drowning, but she didn't struggle. Every breath of water numbed her even more than the last, and she knew it wouldn't be long now before she could finally close her eyes and give in to the very appealing darkness.

"Wake up."

The voice was calm, but still it boomed and reverberated in her head as if it had been yelled. Myrcella didn't feel like listening.

"WAKE UP."

The force of the voice alone this time was finally enough to make her shoot up and open her eyes. At first she couldn't see anything, but the sweet smell of gooseberries with flirting notes of lilac invaded her senses.

"You're alright. Breathe."

Myrcella realised then that she was still holding her breath and took in a big gulp of air. Immediately she choked and began throwing up the water she'd swallowed when she was drowning. "There you go. That was quite the dream-tide you'd trapped yourself in."

The mystic stranger gingerly held Myrcella's hair as she kept throwing up what seemed like an endless amount of water. "I'm Yennefer." The stranger said as Myrcella finally sat back and collapsed exhaustedly against the cave's stone wall. "Myrcella."

"Hm." Yennefer looked at her intrigued. "—You have magic. What are you?" She studied Myrcella closely before a knowing smile appeared on her lips. "Of elven descend I see, like me. But there is more."

"Succubus." Myrcella said weakly after Yennefer had fallen silent for a while trying to figure it out. "Well it's no fun if you spoil it." She sighed. Myrcella smiled amused before she realised what had just happened. "What is a dream-tide?"

"It's a curse or magical trap you can put on a person, a thing, or like this, a room. The cave has been abandoned for some time now, but whoever stayed here before you clearly didn't want any guests." She explained looking around the cave. A torch laid on the ground burning weakly. It was still dark outside, but the sound of birds singing their sweet melodies of morning could be heard faintly, indicating that the sun would soon begin to spread its warm and golden glory on the horizon. "—The dream-tide feeds on your life-force and if you aren't able to realise what is happening and you can't take control of your own subconsciousness, you'll die. Both in the dream and outside of it." Myrcella nodded slowly. It made sense, she'd just never heard of such a powerful spell before.

Silence fell upon the women as they both studied each other. Myrcella's soft gaze wandered from Yennefer's beautiful purple eyes, to her pink and full lips, down her her black and silky smooth hair, over her collarbone and down to her chest and lastly over the dress she was wearing. Yennefer was a beautiful woman, almost perfect in fact, without flaw, but the air around her held a promise of danger and chaos.