VII

-

-

King Foltest's winter castle, seemed even bigger on the inside than on the outside, but the building was still surprisingly underwhelming compared to the elven castles Myrcella had grown up with on Highgarden. Her and Geralt were currently being escorted to the dining hall by Triss, that greasy man from earlier, which Myrcella had learned to be Captain Segelin, and a couple of his knights.

"Miss Merigold, you were dispatched to settle a family affair, not to enlist a mutant mercenary and his lady friend for a game of sleuthing." Captain Segelin spoke up in a reprimanding tone as he placed himself by the king's side. Geralt and Myrcella stood in front of them, unbothered by the fact that they were being talked about like they weren't right there.

Triss shook her head annoyed, "This is no game, Captain. Tonight is a full moon and Geralt and Myrcella has already proved themselves to be invaluable. We believe we can cure the creature." She defended their case. But Captain Segelin looked at her in distaste. "You say she's a girl. Then you will refer to her as Her Royal Highness."

Another greasy man spoke up, coming to Triss' defence, Myrcella believed him to be one of Foltest's courtiers. "Segelin, I believe urgency warrants flexibility in court decorum." Captain Segelin shot Myrcella and Geralt a dirty look before turning back to the king and his courtier. "Lord Ostrit, the witcher's theory is nonsense. Princess Adda was the people's angel. Who'd wish to murder her?"

"What about her lover?" Myrcella questioned raising an eyebrow. It was subtle, but she was sure the second she saw it. The king had flinched, he knew something the others didn't about his sisters secret affair. And Myrcella was going to make him talk.

"Seditious rumors. Idle courtesans trading out boredom for jealousy." Captain Segelin quickly waved it off with a single hand noticing Myrcella's sharp eyes studying the king suspiciously.

Triss sighed, this conversation wasn't going the way she wanted. Looking directly at king Foltest she began pleading their case yet again. "Perhaps if you called off your guards, if we were able to search the abandoned castle, we could find clues as to who cursed her."

"Except this witcher would kill the princess as she sleeps, and collect the miners' coin." Captain Segelin snapped. Geralt let out an annoyed sigh through his nose. "Call her a princess. Call her a fucking unicorn if you'd like to. I don't care. She grew inside Adda, feeding on her petrified womb."

Captain Segelin looked at Geralt wide eyed as the Witcher walked forward threateningly. "Have you no respect?!" He seethed, but Geralt only continued, looking at the king with hard eyes. "–Mutating. Growing for years till she got so hungry she was forced to slither out. Rotten muscle, bent bones, two spidery legs, claws dragging in the dirt. An overgrown abortion."

"Enough!" All eyes were on the king as he shot up from his throne finally having gotten enough. "Your Highness?" Captain Segelin asked concerned. But the king didn't meet their eyes. "Leave."