XI

-

-

The great hall inside the Cintran castle, was filled with people attending the proposal feast. People were dressed in their finest clothes and the air was filled with anticipation for whom would end up with the beautiful princess as their bride.

"Right, so stick close to me, look mean and pretend you're a mute. Can't have anyone finding out who you actually are." Jaskier told Geralt as they entered the room. Geralt looking very displeased.

"Geralt of Rivia, the mighty Witcher!" A voice rung loudly as someone called out to the witcher from across the room. "Oh, shit." Jaskier mumbled as he hid away behind a pillar from all of the eyes now on them.

"I haven't seen you since the plague." An older lord said as he excitedly approached them. "Good times, Mousesack." Geralt greated his old friend.

"I've missed your sour complexion. I feared this would be a dull affair, but now that the White Wolf is here, perhaps all is not lost." He said happily before a confused frown overtook as he eyed Geralt's plain clothes. "-Why are you dressed like a sad silk trader?" Geralt frowned at Jaskier who guiltily looked away.

"Walk with me." Mousesack offered Geralt leading him away from Jaskier.

"To Mousesack!" Someone toasted making a crowd of people cheer in agreement as they walked past. Mousesack laughed heartily at them. "I've been advising the Skelligen crown for years. A tad rough around the edges, but they're of the earth. Like me." He explained Geralt simply. Geralt huffed amused, "Hm, old and crusty then." Mousesack laughed at his friendly banter. "-How long before this horse trading is done? I find royalty best taken in small doses." Geralt confessed making Mousesack smile and shake his head.

"I wouldn't count on leaving before dawn. These suitors will vie all night for Princess Pavetta's hand. Marrying into this monarchy is a mighty prize. Who wouldn't want to be king of the most powerful force in the land?" Geralt seemed disinterested at his friends words. He certainly wouldn't, Geralt thought appalled by the idea of a life at court. "Hm. So, which one of these little shits is your coin on." Geralt asked looking out at the crowd.

"Come with me, there's much for you to see. It's not a fair bet." Mousesack said as he began walking. Pointing to a red haired boy he huffed unimpressed, "That red-headed scanderlout over there, Crach An Craite, will marry Pavetta. The Lioness has already arranged it with the boy's uncle, Eist Tuirseach." Geralt watched as Mousesack pointed at a new guy doing tricks with his dagger in front of a small group of mainly women. "No one would dare make a move on an alliance that powerful." He finished explaining. Geralt nodded thoughtfully.

"Handy with a blade. And with women, too." He said watching the brunette flirting with his crowd. Mousesack chuckled amused. "All an act. Queen Calanthe refused his proposal three times after King Roegner died, despite the two of them gliding around each other like courting swans. No, no, no. She was not for living in her husband's shadow again." Geralt was about to reply to his friend when he noticed Jaskier being grabbed by the arm by a seemingly seething lord. He scoffed, excused himself and walked over to them.