1.1

April 28, 1919

12:32 p.m.

"Keep pushing Ms. Williams. You're almost done." A woman lay in the hospital bed, sweat glistening on her forehead. With one last push and a squeeze of her husband's hand, Ruth pushed out a baby... her baby. A cry from the baby filled the room as Ruth relaxed back in the bed, tired. "Congratulations Mr and Mrs Williams, it's a girl." Tears brimmed their eyes as the doctor cleaned off the baby girl and wrapped her in a pink blanket, gently handing Ruth her daughter.

Ruth was well-rested and soon she was sitting up in the hospital bed, holding her daughter close to her chest. There was a small knock at the door and Robert told the people behind the door to come in. Two women bounded in, smiling down at Ruth. Both women were young, being somewhere in their twenties. Sarah Rogers and Winifred 'Winnie' Barnes. The three had been friends since high school, having met on the cheer squad their freshman year of high school. They had been inseparable since. Ruth smiled up at them as they cooed at the darling little angel in Ruth's arms. Sarah had her own small son in her arms - Steven Grant Rogers. He was 1 year old. Then there was Winnie with her son walking hand-in-hand with her, itching to do something else - James Buchanan Barnes. He was a little older than 2, almost 3.

"Oh... she's just darling." Sarah cooed as she looked down at the small baby.

Steve was soundly asleep in Sarah's arms but James was curious to see what all the fuss was about. He climbed up onto the hospital bed and sat next to Ruth, looking at the baby girl. A small smile spread across his face as the girl woke up, her sparkling sage green eyes looking right at him. Her little chubby arms reached out for him and James let her take a hold of his finger. The mothers were all talking, checking up to make sure Ruth was doing well. But they let their attention drift back to James as he continued to smile down at the baby. "What's her name?" Winnie asked, finally breaking the short silence that had filled the room.

"Clara Katherine Williams."

August 11, 1924

The first day of school

"Come on Clara. Hurry up." A now older and taller James Barnes yelled towards his younger friend. It's not James anymore though. He goes by Bucky now. He stood next to an older Steve at the door of a nice house, waiting for Clara to leave her room. She was all ready to go in her new dress and shoes but she was scared out of her wits. She didn't want to go to school. Up until that day, she would sleep in and when she woke up, she would help her mother around the house before Steve and Bucky would come over. But things were changing now... and Clara was being forced to go to Kindergarten. Bucky and Steve had both told her that it was a lot of fun and how they knew she was going to make so many friends; but the thing was that Clara didn't want make new friends. She liked it being just her, Bucky and Steve. They were her best friends and she didn't want anyone else. But they were both starting 1st grade. Bucky had started school a year later so that he could be in the same grade as Steve.

By now Bucky and Steve had convinced her to come out of her room. She wore her brand new white and navy blue sailor dress and black flats. She reached for Bucky and Steve's hands and grabbed ahold of them tightly as they left her house for school. The walk to school wasn't very long... or maybe they just passed time by with all their talking. But her heart dropped when they reached the school and she realised it was time to part from her boys. She looked up at them, her eyes begging for them to not go... to not make her go. But they dropped her off at her class and they went on their way, yelling a goodbye over their shoulders.

At first, she couldn't wait for that school bell to ring so she could leave. But then a girl with red hair walked up to her and introduced herself. "Hello, I'm Maria. Do you want to play with me?" Those simple words were all Clara needed to forget her worries.

"I would love to." Maria smiled and they made their way to the play structure.

"What's your name?" Maria asked her. Clara smiled at her.

"I'm Clara."

"Clara... we're going to be best friends." They both smiled widely and hugged each other. And it's true. They were the best of friends.

December 24, 1929

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve. Clara, now 10-years old, wrapped her arms around her friend, Maria, as her parents called for her. Maria always went on vacation with her family every winter, but that never stopped Clara from missing her. They did everything together. They were like two peas in a pod. Mar grabbed her suitcase and both girls walked out of her house, towards her car. "Where are you going this year?" Clara asked her friend.

"Daddy said we're visiting the Starks in Long Island."

"Again?" Maria laughed and nodded. "Why are you always vacationing with them?" Clara asked her.

"They're family friends. Daddy and Mr. Stark went to school together."

"And what about Howie? How are you going to be able to handle him now that he's a teenager?" Clara asked her. Of course she had heard of Howard Stark Jr. After all the years that she'd been friends with Maria, she'd heard of the obnoxious boy that had tortured Mar for years. He was 3 years older than the two girls. Clara had never been "lucky" enough to meet the infamous Howie. Not that she wanted to. She had always heard the worst things about him.

"Same as usual. Avoid him." Both girls laughed.

"Maria, it's time to go." Her mother called out to her. Both girls looked at each other, saddened. "Hello Clara, dear." Clara have a small wave to her friend's mother as Maria got into the car. Maria waved goodbye as her father got into the driver's seat. And just like that she was gone. She would be back in a month.

December 25, 1929

Clara had her usual Christmas traditions. Wake up early with her family to open presents, and then she, Bucky and Steve go to the park nearby to play in the snow. After hours of playing in the snow, they would usually trudge over to Bucky's house where they would drink hot cocoa and warm up until dinner when they would all go back to their homes. So when she woke up early in the morning, her parents weren't surprised.

It's was near 6:30 am when Clara woke up, excitement filled in her eyes. "Mama! Papa!" She yells, giggling as she jumped out of bed. "Wake up! Wake up!" She peered out her bedroom window, seeing the snow falling down from the sky. The windows were ice cold as Clara put her hand to the glass, a small handprint left when she retracted her hand. Clara smiled once more and ran down to her parents bedroom, jumping into bed with them and shaking them awake. "Wake up!" She yelled again. Her mother laughed and her father groaned, rolling over in his bed. "Father the sun has risen, it is time to wake up." She whined, shaking him more. He groaned again and rolled back over, getting out of bed.

"Alright. I'm awake." He kissed Clara on the forehead and then kissed his wife. Clara looked away, disgust shown on her face. Both her parents chuckled. "One day, you won't find that so disgusting..." Clara shook her head, not believing her father.

As they sat around the tree, her father passed a gift to Clara. She smiled up at him and stared at the box, confused as it started to move slightly. She opened the lid of the box, seeing a small black peek it's head out. "Father!" She cried as she picked up the small kitten and swaddled it in her arms. "I want to name her." Clara persisted. Her parents smiled at her and nodded, allowing her to name the small kitten. "Luna." She looked at both of her parents as the kitten purred and nestled her head in Clara's chest. "Thank you father!" She let the kitten down for a second, only to hug her father.