1.9

August 3, 1943

Steve had become quite a sight to see for America. He was doing shows left and right. To say Steve was disappointed, would be an understatement. All he wanted to do was fight and serve his country. And yet, he felt like a joke. Wearing a costume and hanging around show girls, doing shows, selling bonds. This is not what he expected to happen after the serum. But the Colonel wanted an army. All he got was one man. CAPTAIN AMERICA started selling everywhere. Boys were making shields, girls had fallen "in love", and comic books were written about him. He was America's New Hope.

It was right after the show when Clara was aiding a young man. She was doing the best she could with the equipment they had. It wasn't the best but it was what they had. She was almost finished when the Colonel stepped into the tent and made eye contact with her. "Rogers' friend, right?" He asked her. She nodded. "Yes, sir. Why? Did something happen to Steve?" She asked. He shook his head. She finished wrapping the guy up and he thanked her. She sent him one of her best smiles as he limped away. "No, it's not Steve. I was signing one of those damn condolence letters. I recognised your name. It was addressed to you, so I suppose he wrote your name down as his emergency contact." Clara took off her latex gloves as she stared at the Colonel. "Sir, what are you saying?" She asked him, confused. "James Barnes of the 107th." Clara felt her heart drop. "Don't you dare tell me he's dead. He's not dead. Dammit! He's not dead." She cried out at the man. She only saw a look of pity on his face. She felt Maria come up to her side and grab her hands. "Please, he can't be dead..." She pleaded with the Colonel, her eyes already full of tears as she clutched her chest where her heart was. Her breathing quickened and she felt as though she was gasping for air. It was exactly the same way when she heard about her dad. The Colonel put a hand on her shoulder and mumbled an I'm sorry as he left the tent, leaving Clara on her knees in the arms of Maria.

Moments later, Steve came into the tent and saw Maria but no sign of Clara. Maria saw Steve and knew that he had just found out the same news. She nodded her head in the direction where Clara had gone off to. He nodded a thank you back as he left through the back of the tent, where he saw Clara, sitting in the rain. "Clara." At the sound of Steve's voice, she turned around tears still in her eyes. He helped her up and hugged her tightly, knowing the pain she was going through right now. "He's not dead Steve. He can't be." She mumbled in his suit. "I know Clara. I'm going for him." She looked up at him, and shook her head. "You can't do that Steve. What if you get hurt?" She asked. He smiled at her. "Haven't you heard? I'm Captain America." She laughed a little, smiling. "I'll come back. I promise and I'll bring Bucky back with me." He kissed her forehead and then left. She watched him walk away with Agent Carter, hoping that wasn't the last time she saw her best friend.

August 10, 1943

It had been a week since Steve left to find the rest of the 107th. And Bucky. He left to get Bucky. Clara hadn't done any of her duties in a week. Maria had taken over most of them. She couldn't help but feel useless. Knowing that both her boys were out there, probably dead, was no comfort. One of the soldiers from outside the tent, threw open the tent flap. He said something, Clara wasn't sure of what, but suddenly everyone that could walk was gone, running towards something. Clara had assumed it was a fight. The commotion outside was building up and soon Clara heard cheering. She shot up from her seat and opened the tent flap. From the tent across her, she saw Agent Carter and Colonel do the same. She followed them, in case anyone needed help. But what she saw was no fight...

It was her boys.

It was Steve, alive and well.

It was Bucky. Her Bucky.

She felt tears swell in her eyes as she stared at them, Bucky not seeing her yet. A long line of soldiers cheered and clapped for not just the safety of their men but to congratulate Steve. Clara knew Steve well enough to know that he felt proud. And he had a damn good reason to be. Clara stood behind Agent Carter, trying not to get in the way. "Colonel, some of these men need medical attention." Steve told him, saluting. "I can help with that." Clara spoke up. Agent Carter moved out of the way and Clara saw Bucky's surprised face. She looked over to Steve and smiled at him. "Bring the wounded to the tent. There are already nurses in there, ready to help." Clara directed the soldiers who were helping the injured. Yet, she didn't move. She couldn't stop staring at Bucky. He was still as handsome as the day she first fell in love with him. "Hey, let's hear it for Captain America!" He shouted out. Around him, everyone starting cheering and clapping for Steve. As the crowd started to disperse, Clara could hardly contain herself. "Hey doll." Bucky greeted her. His clothes were tattered and there were obvious scars all over him. Clara couldn't contain her worry and excitement anymore as she launched herself into Bucky's arms. He chuckled, catching her. She nuzzled her head into his neck. She didn't care about how much he smelled. She was just glad to have him back. "I love you so much." She mumbled. "I love you too doll." He kissed her lips, never wanting to break apart.

August 20, 1943

He only got a week with her and because of the rules in the army, he wasn't allowed to spend a lot of time with her. Especially because she was always busy, saving another soldier's life, or at least giving them the medications to believe that they weren't dying. So before he headed out with Steve and the rest of the "Howling Commandos", as her and Maria often called them, Bucky was "sick". They just wanted extra time together.

But their time together drew to a close, when it was time for their mission. "James Buchanan Barnes, I swear to god if you die on me again, I will kill you." She threatened him, when they were finally alone once more. He smiled at her, loving when she got protective over him. "Yes, ma'am." She looked at him and his smile faded a little. "Yeah, I know. I'm sorry. I'll stop joking around. But I'll be safe. I promise. I have Captain America with me." He said, winking at her. She smiled a little kissing his lips delicately. Her arms snaked around his waist and he pulled her closer, hugging her tightly. Neither wanted to let go. And if it weren't for Steve coming in, they probably wouldn't have. Because he didn't want to leave. And she didn't want him to go.

"Steve. Don't get hurt. Take care of each other." She ordered him. He smiled smally at her and gave her a tight hug before nodding. "I promise." He said to her.

He shouldn't have made the promise.

He promised her.

They both did.