1.10

September 13, 1943

She couldn't go on like this. It was too hard for her. With everything that had happened in the past month, she couldn't handle her broken heart anymore. She would never get to kiss his lips again. She would never get to feel his warm breath on her neck. Or the way he embraced her. The way their hands fit together like two ends of a puzzle. They were perfect.

Her heart couldn't handle this anymore. The constant tugging of her heartstrings. She didn't blame Steve, she never could. It wasn't his fault. But Steve blamed himself. And he hadn't talked to her since the incident. He felt so guilty. So after she made the call, she wrote him a letter, knowing he wouldn't let her say goodbye.

Dear Steve,

By the time you read this, I will be gone. Not gone, like dead. Stark has a way to put me to sleep, in a way. I need this. I can't spend the rest of my life mourning him. I love him, I will always love him but this is a way for me to heal. I need you to know that I love you too. You've always been the big brother that I needed and I am so thankful for you. It is not your fault. It is not your fault he's dead. It's not your fault I'm leaving, though I hope you can forgive me. Maybe, if life goes our way, we'll see each other again. Maybe not in this lifetime, but in another. So, Steve, I only ask of you two things. One, forgive me. I know this isn't the right way to handle things and I'm sorry for leaving you alone, so forgive me. Two, take Agent Carter on a date. For the love of god, please do. I see the way you two look at each other. It's the same way Bucky and I used to... I love you Steven.

Sincerely, Clara Williams

That same day, she was gone. She gave the letter to Howard to give to Steve. Howard explained to Clara that she would be chronically frozen but he also added that the only way to keep her alive, was to use the serum. Well, not the serum, but a version of it that he had recreated. He was trying to perfect the serum, though failed to mention that it wasn't perfected when he gave it to her. For the first time, Clara was calm. She was prepared and ready. She told herself over and over again that she needed this. That it would be good for her. She didn't know when she would wake up, nor did she care. She was prepared for whatever would come her way. So, the next time the world saw Clara Williams, they better be prepared, because she was. 

The End