1.6

July 14, 1936

"Come on doll. I'm sure you look lovely." Bucky called through from the other side of the door. He could hear Clara rummaging through her closet full of clothes. It's not her fault she wanted to look her best. The three of them, meaning Bucky, Steve and Clara, were going to Coney Island. Clara had been wanting to go for a while but had only just convinced the boys to go with her. Maria was supposed to come with but there was a change in plans. The change being that Maria had gotten a scholarship to NYU and they had a summer program that she had to attend in order to be able to go to NYU in the fall. Therefore, Maria had suddenly dropped off the face of the earth. Maria and Clara spend their Saturday mornings together going out for coffee and a walk in the city. It was their ideal perfect morning together.

But for now, she was giving the boys her 100% attention. She smiled to herself as she looked at her reflection in the mirror. Feeling content with herself and her outfit, she opened the door and kissed the cheek of her very impatient boyfriend. Boyfriend. She loved calling him that now. Bucky was her boyfriend. He stood up straighter and intertwined their fingers, dragging her down the stairs to where Steve had been waiting patiently for them. Together the three departed Clara's home and made their way to Coney Island.

The boys really didn't mind what they did, as long as Steve didn't go on any roller coasters, the friend group was fine. They had all started to get rather hungry so Clara went to go get the group some food. When she came back, she saw the boys at one of the games. Bucky looked to be struggling a little at one of the games, but the bell dinged loudly, signaling that he won the game. Clara shook her head, ignoring the childness reactions to Bucky winning. He got one of the teddy bears and him and Steve came back. "Babe." He said, as both him and Steve sat down at the table next to Clara. She passed them their food, and then looked up at Bucky. He was smiling widely at her as he gave her the bear. She laughed a little but kissed his cheek. "Thank you Bucky." She placed the bear beside her. "I love my Bucky and my Bucky bear." She said to Bucky, nudging him. He smiled at her, feeling pleased with himself.

_____

They had walked Steve back to his and Bucky's apartment. It would've been more logical for them both to leave but Bucky didn't want Clara to walk home alone. They walked hand in hand, barely saying a word to each other. It's not that they didn't have anything to say, but the silence was comforting. Their hands swung back and forth as they neared her house. The porch lights were still on but Clara knew that at this time of night, her parents were sound asleep. They trusted Bucky with Clara, and they knew he would keep their trust. As they walked up the stairs to the porch, Clara pulled Bucky to the swinging chair, neither wanting the night to end so soon. Clara laid her head on Bucky's shoulder as the chair swung back and forth. Those summer nights were what mattered the most to them. They were the sleepless nights filled with happiness and love.

December 25, 1937

Moving in Together

"Merry Christmas!" Clara yelled to the boys as she entered their apartment. She heard the boys yell it back as she made herself comfortable in the main room. She set their presents down on the coffee table, waiting to see her boys. The three had been pretty busy lately with college and hadn't had much time to spend time with each other lately. Clara was glad for the holiday breaks they got, so she could finally relax and spend days and nights with her boys. They still spent a lot of time together. Clara practically lived in their apartment. She had clothes here, from nights she sleepover. She had about half of the closet to herself. But she still went home occasionally. And those nights, she would usually spend on the telephone with Bucky. They were inseparable.