1.

For the past year, I have spent dedicating my mind and body to training. Everyday I would go to a secluded area to practice and develop fighting techniques, but I would never use my kagune. It was tough, and sometimes I wouldn't stop until I was coughing blood, but it was worth it. To strengthen my mind and senses, I would often meditate, spending hours simply listening to my surroundings. The burrow of a bunny running into its home, the slight rustling of trees that blew in the wind, the very distant honking of traffic. Eventually I became hyper aware of my surroundings, being able to determine if someone was even whispering about me in a crowded room.

And finally came the day for U.A entrance exams. I arrived to the school grounds late, nearing the time when the gates would close. As far as I knew, there were two parts to the exam, the written portion and the practical. I suppressed a smug smile as I walked into the auditorium, where the exam orientation was being held. Casting my eyes to the rows of seats, as I expected, nearly all of them. I found my seat, the only open one next to a kid with curly green hair that was constantly mumbling to himself. Of course I would be seated next to a guy like this, I thought to myself.

The kid didn't even notice that I had brushed my way past others to sit in the seat next to his own, far too engrossed in his own rambles. I picked up a few words in jumble, such as All Might and One For All, though I didn't bother to listen to the whole thing, it was none of my business anyways.

The stage lights turned on, along with a large screen which displayed the school's name in bold, golden lettering. "For all you examinee listeners tuning in," a loud voice boomed from the speakers, "welcome to my show today!" I turned my gaze to the man standing in the center of the stage, his most noticeable feature being his bright yellow hair curved up, similarly in the shape of a banana. "Everybody say 'hey'!"

There was silence, not a single person even tempted to comply with his wishes. "What a refined response." He said aloud after several, his arms shaking in a more humorous manner. "Then I'll quickly present to you the rundown of the exam! Are your ready? Yeah!!" He shouted, but again, the crowd was silent.

Beside me, the green-haired kid began mumbling again. "It's the voice hero, Present Mic! Wow...!" He gushed, not being as quiet as he probably thought he was. Present Mic? Doesn't he have a radio show? I rolled my eyes, ignoring his ramblings until a spiky blond on his other said told the kid to 'shut up.'

"As it says in the application requirements, you listeners will be conducting ten-minute mock urban battles after this." The screen behind Present Mic changed to display a box with the words 'you are here,' which then spread out into several more boxes labeled alphabetically. "You can bring whatever you want with you. After the presentation, you'll head to the specified battle center, okay?" I pulled out a slip of paper from the beg the brought, my identification number battle center written on it. 'B' huh? This'll be SO much fun... "Okay?!" Present Mic shouted out again. On the other side of the green-haired kid, I could hear the spiky blond begin talking, though I wasn't sure if it was to himself or the boy sitting next to me. "In other words, they won't let you work with your friends, huh?"

"Y-you're right. Even though our examinee numbers are consecutive, we're assigned to different battle centers." Why am I even listening in, it's not as if I even know these guys... I shook my head and decided to ignore the two males, just as they were me and everyone else.

The large screen changed again, this time showing a city. Around it, silhouettes of robots began appearing one by one, each labeled with their point value. "Three different types of faux villains are stationed in each battle center. You earn points for each of them based on their level of difficulty." Present Mic spoke. "Your goal, dear listeners, is to use your quirks to earn points by immobilizing faux villains."

Immobilize? I thought, That doesn't mean destroy. So you don't obliterate them to get points. Dismissing the useless thought, I turned my attention back to Present Mic, who has ont stopped with his presentation. "Of course, attacking other examinees and any other unheroic actions are prohibited!"

A few rows in front of me, a tall male with navy blue hair stood up, waving his arm while saying, "May I ask a question?" Present Mic point at him, shouting out "Okay!" it was only then did I notice that Present Mic tended to say quite a few sentences in English, Maybe he's an English teacher. A spotlight turned on to shine on said male. He held a paper in his hand, but I couldn't see what was on it because his back was to me.

"On the printout, there are four types of villains. If that is a misprint, then U.A., the most prominent school in japan, should be ashamed of that foolish mistake." I pulled my own copy of the print out from my bag, seeing that he was indeed correct. Though the fourth one was listed to have zero points. "We examinees are here in this place, because we wish to be molded into exemplary heroes."

He then turned around and pointed at the green-haired kid to my right. "In addition, you over there with the curly hair. You've been muttering this whole time. It's distracting!" A glare was etched onto his face, not letting up in the slightest. "If you're here on a pleasure trip, then you should leave immediately." I felt a glare forming onto my own face. He doesn't even know this kid. What gives him the right to judge? The arrogant tall male must have noticed my intimidating , because he flinched back slightly in surprise.

The kid next to me shrunk back in embarrassment, a hand over his mouth as he mumbled an 'I'm sorry.' A few other examinees snickered behind me, but I didn't bother to turn around, they weren't worth it. Present Mic waved his hands up and down slightly, as if to try and settle the tension. "Okay, okay. Examinee Number 7111. Thanks for the great message.The fourth type of villain is worth zero points. That guy's an obstacle, so to speak. There's one in every battle center, an obstacle that will go crazy in narrow spaces. It's not impossible to defeat, but there's no reason to defeat it, either. I recommend that you listeners try to avoid it!" That would probably be the best idea for me too, don't want to draw unnecessary attention, I thought while contemplating short battle plans.

The navy-haired male from before bowed, replying with a "Thank you very much!" I almost forgot he was still standing, he went completely silent during the explanation. "That's all from me!" Present Mic cried out again as he began to speak his last words of the orientation. "Finally, I'll give you listeners a present - our school motto. The hero Napoleon Bonaparte once said: 'A true hero is someone who overcomes life's misfortunes.' Go beyond. Plus Ultra! Now everyone, good luck suffering!"