Chapter One - The Station

'It's been ten years and I still, to this day, have never seen a case quite like it.'
Police sergeant Maxwell Smith stubbed his burning cigarette into the ashtray, dabbed the corner of his mouth gently with a tissue and sat forward in his sturdy office chair.
'Ten years, March the first, nineteen-eighty-five it happened. I've never been able to forget what I saw that night, in that damned house, and somehow I don't think I ever will be able to forget.'
Chief inspector John Williamson studied his face carefully before looking down at the desk, a curious desperation building up inside of him.
'It was a case that shook the whole town, that's for sure, but there's been more recent cases that have came close to topping it, right?'
Maxwell Smith shook his head.
'No, there hasn't as a matter of fact. And you've got to think to yourself, in this very job we have seen arson, murder, assault cases, armed robberies, throw anything you damn well like into the mix - but I truly, truly do not believe that we have ever seen something like this before. I really, really do not.'
John Williamson looked uncomfortable now, even more startled than before.
'How old were you when you looked into it, sarge?'
'I was thirty-four when I initially started looking into it, but it was on my thirty-fifth birthday when we went to kick down the doors of that place. Rotted my fucking stomach, I tell you. And as I say, we've seen it all; over the years I've kicked down many doors, doors that belonged to junkies, robbers, drug kingpins.. serial killers, even. But I have never, ever seen a case crop up like that one again in my time, and I hope to God that I never have to, either.'
Williamson rummaged around in his left coat-pocket and pulled out a lighter, beginning to fiddle with it.
'Yeah, but... comes with the job, in a way, does it not? It's our job to keep people safe, it's our job to protect, and-'
'John, I know that, I know that more than anyone. But what went on during that twisted night, well.. It wasn't human. I still think about it to this very day.'
'You never did tell me the full story, sarge.'
'What? What do you mean?'
'Well.. it's just that, I've been on the force for about five years now, and every time I ask someone about this particular case, it's just shrugged off. I've asked you a few times myself, but you never tell me the full story. I just think it's about time I knew, that's all.'
'You don't need to-'
'Maxwell, come on. I've always looked up to you ever since I started in the force, you've practically got years on me. So please, I'm asking this as a friend, just tell me what happened on that night. I'm all ears.'
There wasn't many things that could make this particular police sergeant shudder, but retelling this very case always seemed to, in some strange way.
'Well you may as well light up then, here, take a fag from my box, maybe grab yourself a coffee whilst you're at it. You're in for a tale and a half, my son.'