Chapter Thirty Nine - Dinnertime

Pierce was in the kitchen, placing two fresh beef patties into a pan drenched in oil. He fiddled with the knobs on the stove, waited until he saw a flame, and then placed the steel pan carefully on top of the hob. As the soon-to-be burgers sizzled away, he began to think about Charlie. Belgrave Academy's end of day bell, he remembered from his own youth, rung at three o'clock everyday without fail. It was now a quarter past the hour, and he was beginning to wonder where his nephew had got to; he should've been back at least five minutes ago. As Wham! began to play Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go on the old and frail radio, he strongly felt that he had missed something out - 'Let's see,' he muttered to himself. 'Burgers, check. Pan on, obviously, check. Chips, check. What is wrong with you today?'
The thought came to him only a minute later: Garlic salt and paprika, for Pete's sake.
Pierce went to the cupboard next to the fridge and pulled the missing ingredients out. He poured them into the pan and took enjoyment from the ferocious sizzling, imagining himself as a Michelin-starred chef as he watched the steel pan spit relentlessly.
'And for my next trick,' he called out, whilst double-checking that his nephew wasn't around to see his tomfoolery, 'I shall turn these worthless slabs of meat into fine and rather beautifully seasoned burgers!'
As soon as these words left his mouth, the front door opened and closed.
'Food smells good Uncle,' said Charlie.
'Oh, Charlie, you're back, brilliant. You didn't hear any of that, did you?'
'Hear any of what?' Charlie asked with a chuckle.
'Nothing, doesn't matter. How was school?'
'Not bad. Pretty banal,' Charlie said under his breath.
Pierce offered him a sympathetic look, and Charlie smiled a feint smile back at him. 'Not to worry, because I've got something that will cheer you right up. Your favourite Uncle in the whole world is cooking you up a couple of mean looking burgers!'
Charlie paused, an uncomfortable look striking his face. 'Oh, I'm really sorry Uncle Pierce, but... well, I'm a vegetarian.'
Pierce's face dropped. 'Are you?'
Charlie started laughing, shaking his head and throwing it back. 'No, I'm only kidding. I love burgers.'
'That wasn't a very kind trick to play on your little old Uncle, monsieur Broomer. And as a punishment, you shall now receive extra sprouts on your meal!'
'Gross,' Charlie said whilst stifling a laugh. 'Looks like I'll starve to death then.'
Pierce shook his head and smiled. 'Go through and watch some television. It'll be about half an hour before your tea's ready. That okay?'
'Sounds decent to me,' Charlie nodded.