Chapter Thirty Six - Alone

Pierce sat on the edge of the double bed, running his careful fingers through the hair of his terrified nephew. 'We've been through this, Charlie, and I'm sorry. But you can't go home, you need to stay here.'
Charlie began to manically rock back and forth.
'I can't stay here. She's under my bed. So is he.'
'Who? Who is under your bed?'
'My Mum. And Mr Manley.'
Pierce frowned. 'Who's Mr Manley?'
After a brief moment's hesitation, Charlie settled back into the pillow and said, 'I'm tired. I'm sorry, I think I just need some sleep.'
'Okay. Well if you need me in the night, just come and grab me. Sweet dreams, mate.'
He stood up and left the room, leaving his shaking nephew alone with his thoughts. As soon as he heard the squashing of the pillows on Pierce's sofa, Charlie stood up, scratched his head and checked underneath the bed.
If you're going to jump out at me, now is the time to announce yourself.
But to Charlie's surprise, there was nothing underneath the bed; not a soul.
The very thought that he was expecting his mother, or some sort of ghoul doing a poor imitation of his mother, made him laugh. The image of his mother's face in her last moments, both scared and relieved, made his heart pound with a throbbing anxiety. He sighed, sinking his head deep into his pillow.
After five minutes he felt nothing, nothing at all, and after ten minutes he was fast asleep.