day one

I grimace at Aurelia, the only vaguely sympathetic one of my friends, as I haul myself out of the water for the hundredth time. The board flops on the surface of the waves like a stranded fish, with only my hand to hold it steady. 

I mutter a curse as I stumble once more. Aurelia winces, but doesn't say a word, as I force my aching body to drag the board back into deeper water. She pats me on the back as I stop beside her, my eyes caught on our other friends.

"You're not doing that ba-"

"I'm awful at this. I don't know why I suggested it."

"You suggested it because you knew we enjoyed it."

"Yes, and look where that got me; being laughed at by all of you." Aurelia chuckles as she remembers my last graceful dismount. I stick my tongue out at her.

"Hey, Charlie, you giving it another shot?" Cora yells over, grinning widely, her fiery hair flying wild in the offshore breeze.

"Screw you!" I shout back, my frown deepening.

My eyes flick to our surfing instructor, who's watching our exchange with an amused smile.

"C'mon, Charlie. You might even stay on the board this time." Aurelia teases, an evil grin on her face.

"No. I will not embarrass myself in front- again." I insist, catching my words as they chase out of my mind.

"What? In front of who?" She laughs, loudly. Too loudly. "You can't be worried about us; we see you making a fool out of yourself all the time."

"I'm not worried about you." I whisper-shout as the surfing instructor begins to wander over to us, her strong, tan hands controlling the movement of her board with ease.

"Who are you-" Aurelia follows my line of sight, and halts halfway through her sentence. "I see. You're not worried about the competition; you're just worried about surfer girl?" She reveals, her voice carrying over to the meanies.

"No," I mutter, examining the scuffs on the edge of my board.

"Are you sure?" Cora chuckles, high-fiving our other 'friend'. I glare at her back, trying to ignore the muscled woman sidling up to us.

"Would you like some help?" Thankfully, her eyes are kind, and she isn't laughing.

Aurelia moves away from us, directing a wink at me. I flush.

"Yeah...I'm not so good at this." She grins. I admire her soft smile, coaxing me to try again.

"Don't worry. You've got enough time to learn." I roll my eyes.

"They all say that."

"I'm a good teacher, I promise." The corners of my mouth tweak up.

"I guess it couldn't hurt." I agree, a little reluctantly.

"Okay, move out into deeper water, or the waves won't be strong enough to carry you-"

"I can figure out that much." I protest. "I'm not dumb, I just...can't surf." She gives me a look.

"It's always a good idea to enter a surfing competition when you can't surf," she tells me, her eyes amused. I wipe a hand over my face to cover my blush, realizing she's heard our entire conversation.

The waves lap at the edge of the board, washing white swirls over my hands. She gently pushes me deeper, one of her steady hands on my board, one on her's.

Water is soon tugging at the waistband of my bikini shorts, whispers of wind spray snaking up my arms and across my shoulders.

A smile creeps across my face as she gets an unexpected face full of sea water. She glares softly at me, her eyes crinkling with slight amusement.