the day after

~ i'm a sucker for a happy ending ~

A calm sea stretches out before me. Clouds are gathering overhead, ready rain down on the sandy beaches.

We agreed to leave an hour ago. Ry is still with Luca; Jess is beside me. Aurelia and Cora left to get some last-minute supplies for our journey home - otherwise known as wanting to give us space.

"Have you decided yet?" Jess murmurs. I bite my lip.

I can't promise anything - even to a woman who might love me; who I might love.

"We've barely been together a week," I murmur. My fingers fiddle with the ring tied around my finger.

"It's been an incredible week, though," Jess acknowledges, her lips tweaking up. "Worth staying for?"

I step away from her, watching the waves as they crash onto the rocks at the edges of the beach.

"Charlie?" She prompts, a smirk growing on her face. She thinks I'll stay.

A tear slips down my cheek; I don't want to go.

"I've got to go back..." I admit, more tears gathering at the corners of my eyes. "I have to finish university."

"But you'll come back after you've finished, yeah?" Her voice wobbles slightly, uncertainty tainting her words.

"I can't." I turn around, finally meeting his gaze. My eyes are red; framed with sadness. "I have a job opportunity in Canada. I accepted last week."

Her jaw drops. I can taste the guilt in my mouth.

"But- what about us?" Her eyes harden. "Why did you even bother, at all?"

"I just wanted an early summer fling, Jess," I tell her, my fists clenching as I speak my lies. "I didn't care who with."

I look away, dragging my gaze back to the horizon. Something is smashed against the floor behind me, but I don't look back. If I do, I won't be able to go through with it.

"I thought you were different, Charlie. I really did." Jess scoffs, anger clear in her tone.

I don't respond, trying to calm my racing heart. Tears are flowing down my cheeks with ease.

"Aren't you going to say something?" She asks; begs. I ignore her, focusing instead on the sun as it rises above the horizon.

Eventually, the calming noises of her breathing, and the soft pacing of her footsteps, disappear. I risk a glance behind me, to see that she is gone.

All that is left is my phone, smashed to pieces on the pebbled beach.

*

"Why the heck would you do that?!" Aurelia yells, spinning in her seat to face me.

Cora keeps her eyes fixed on the road, occasionally sending me disapproving glances in the mirror.

"I don't know," I admit. "I just knew I couldn't stay."

Aurelia rolls her eyes.

"Have you ever heard the phrase, 'honesty is the best policy'?" Cora asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes," I sigh. Aurelia throws her hands up in the air.

Silence falls in the car, and I turn my attention to the empty seat beside me. Ry found a way to stay. Why couldn't I?

I stare out of the window, watching the world roll by.

"Can you please call her?" Aurelia murmurs, her eyes not meeting mine.

"She- I dropped my phone," I tell her, suddenly thankful for Jess 's anger.

I hear the click of a phone dialling, and the ringing sounding through the speakers of the car.

"Aurelia-" I hiss, hitting the back of her seat.

She jumps, and turns to glare at me. I retreat backwards.

The dialler tone clicks, and then Jess's voice; tired, sad, fills the car.

"Hello?" I can hear that she's been crying; can see the scars of the tears she's cried staining her face.

"Jess? It's Aurelia," she replies. "Please don't hang up, but I called because Charlie wanted to talk to you. She has something she needs to explain."

"You must be joking," she mutters, and I can feel myself shrinking in my skin.

I allow a heavy silence to stretch between us as I re-organise my thoughts.

"Jess..." I pause, trying to form words. "I'm sorry, about what I said."

"Which part?" She sneers, the sound of her voice ugly compared to her usual soft tones.

"All of it. Forget all of it." I sigh. "It's not what I wanted to do."

"Then why did you do it? We all have a choice in life; whether to be an asshole or not," she deadpans, but her voice is more gentle now.

"I was scared. I didn't want you, or me, to end up hurt later when we had more to lose," I try to explain, but nothing I say can convey how I feel.

"I can understand that, but Charlie?" Jess's voice is throaty, as though she is trying not to cry.

"Yes?" I reply, my breath caught in my throat.

"You need to talk to me, love," she explains. She is calm, now; calm and familiar.

"I will. In the future," I promise, tears slipping down my cheeks.

She chuckles, trying to warm the atmosphere, "I guess I owe you a new phone, as well."

"No!" I blurt out, getting a strange look from Aurelia. "No, I deserved that."

"Maybe a little bit," she agrees. Cora snickers. "I'll text you, later, okay?"

"Okay," I concur, the corners of my lips turning up.

"Bye, love," she rumbles. Cora and Aurelia make squeaky kissing noises, but I ignore their childishness.

"See you later,"

fin.