day four

A few hours too late, I come home, dumping the shopping bags by the door. I groan at the sight of Aurelia waiting for me, her gaze curious. I thought I would make it home before she did.

I scowl, brushing past her to go into the kitchen. Interrupting her any time she speaks, I clatter around, putting away the piles of food.

Eventually, I spin to face her. She pouts, annoyed that I've been ignoring her.

"Sorry," I say, walking into the lounge and leaning against the doorway. The TV warbles away in the background; the weather man wittering on about the brief sunshine we may get over the next few days.

A cup of tea is pushed into my hands as she comes to stand beside me.

"How are you and lover girl, then?" Aurelia grins at me, her smirk telling.

I flush, glancing away. Immediately, memories of her skin beneath mine, her soft hands tangled in my hair, and her lips tracing along my jaw, flicker through my head.

"Oh, they're perfect," Cora says, rolling her eyes as she slumps into the sofa. "I had an earful of it from him last night."

"You told me I didn't say anything!" I accuse her, glaring as she digs her spoon into one of the many tubs of ice-cream I bought, completely ignoring me.

"I said you didn't say anything too embarrassing," she replies, sticking her tongue out. I mimic her stupid face, huffing when she turns away.

"Well I think you two are adorable," Aurelia declares, interrupting our bickering.

I smile gratefully, picking up my re-heated pizza from the coffee table as I collapse into an armchair.

Aurelia begins to tap on her phone, drumming her fingers on her thigh. Loud thumps echo down the stairs, stopping when they reach the doorway to the lounge.

"How are you guys feeling about the competition tomorrow?" Ry asks, interrupting our peaceful silence.

I turn to glance at him, taking in his dishevelled appearance. His hair is mussed as though somebody has carded their fingers through it; his eyes are bright, soaked in colour.

As I raise an eyebrow, he shakes his head, subtly. Don't ask questions.

"I'm feeling good, actually," Aurelia decides, not looking up from her phone.

"Yeah?" Ry sits down opposite me, straightening his shirt and running his fingers through his hair. "I think I'm the same."

I nod, a smile tweaking at my lips at the thought of Jess's extra lessons. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Ry grinning, too.

"You would," Cora snarks. "All three of you-"

Abruptly, Ry shushes her, turning the volume of the TV up. I skim my eyes across the screen, warmth spilling through me as I notice the forecast. Cloudy, but sunlight coming through, and a full day of blue skies on the competition day.

"Might be a bit of rain tomorrow," Ry comments. "You know how they get these forecasts wrong."

"A light drizzle never bothered anybody," I insist, fire burning behind my eyes. I can surf, properly, finally.

"Charlie, you need to be caref-"

"I will be," I reassure Aurelia. "Don't worry so much."

"Maybe she has a right to worry." Ry mutters, to which I roll my eyes. I'm not going to repeat what I did yesterday morning.

"Anyway, in other news," Aurelia begins, changing the subject. "We saw this couple going at it behind the beach huts when we jogged down there."

Cora grins, a teasing light flickering in her eye.