day five

I collapse into the sand, already exhausted. Ry grins tiredly, as he falls down next to me. We lie back on the sand, staring at the sky.

Jess insisted I get up before dawn to practice, and Ry decided to join me. I know it's because he's avoiding Luca, but I couldn't bring myself to argue with him before five am.

Pulling myself up, I eye my board, freshly waxed and leaning against the beach huts. As the sun rises, it glistens with fractures of light.

My gaze drifts over to Jess, surrounded by boards of varying sizes. Taylor is sat cross-legged beside her, his bright red lifeguard's shirt unbuttoned and flapping in the wind.

Taylor points out a local surfer practicing in the shallows as they stumble, and Jess grins in response. I chuckle lightly, nudging Ry.

"I bet they laughed at me when I started," I say, mock-offended.

"Oh, definitely," he snickers. "Good job you've practiced a bit since then."

I elbow him in the ribs, earning myself a friendly slap on the back of the head.

We fight playfully, pushing each other into the sand, until somebody taps me on the shoulder. I jump, turning to glare at whoever it is.

Taylor winces, stepping back from me so I don't hit him. Letting his head fall back onto the sand, Ry laughs.

"Sorry," I apologize, rubbing my hand over the back of my neck. "My bad."

"S'okay...I'll poke you with a stick next time," he smirks, glancing back at Jess. My eyes narrow, but a smile tweaks at my lips.

"Do we need to get ready to go out?" Ry asks, interrupting me before I can form a retort. Taylor nods, his expression tightening as he recognises Ryan.

I stand up and brush the sand off my wetsuit, grimacing as it sticks to my skin. Ry holds out his hands, pleadingly, until I grasp his arms and yank him up.

"Thank you," he giggles as I trip back onto the sand. I hear a chorus of laughter, feeling Jess's eyes on me, and I roll my eyes.

As I get back to my feet and make my way over to Jess, I notice Taylor pulling Ry aside.

"Why haven't you spoken to Luca?" Taylor hisses, whilst Ry blinks at him in confusion. I frown; I thought he was going to speak to Luca yesterday.

Tugging softly on Jess's arm, I step over to join Ry and Taylor.

"You haven't spoken to Luca?" I query, my eyes meeting Ry's. He shakes his head, choking out an attempt at a laugh.

"I just haven't had time - not that it's any of your business," he mutters, staring hard at Taylor's face.

"He's not going to reject you, Ry," I say, quietly. "If that is what you're scared of...?"

"No, I'm not scared. I just need time," he scoffs, his gaze flicking to me. "I thought you, of all people, understood that."

I swallow, glancing at Jess, who is chatting to another local surfer. Taylor walks over to them, scuffing his shoes on the sand, as he looks back at us.

"I'm sorry, I do understand," I pause, tousling Ry's salty, wet hair with a smile. "I want you to be happy, is all."

"I know you do." He sighs; turns his face into the wind. "I'll tell him next time I see him."

"That's my boy!" I clap him on the back. Our surfboards catch my eye, and an idea forms in my head.

"C'mon, let's go surf!" I grin cheekily, and he frowns at me.