In Need of a Hero

It was the greatest tragedy the Pureheart Valley had ever experienced. Just out of nowhere their centuries of peace was at an end when a band of pirates arrived one day. The villagers immediately fled for cover and places to hide. Everyone expected them to land and raid the entire valley from the homes to the shops.

But the people wished that was the case. No, instead the band of pirates were after something much greater. The king Snugglemagne yelped in fear as the entire castle shook, plaster from the ceiling falling from above. He quickly called his guards and quickly evacuated his beloved home. As he made it outside he looked up to see a number of large hook-like rods launched into the Ruby Pure Heart. There were so many questions running through the lion's head. How did these pirates manage to find them? Were they really planning to take the Ruby Pure Heart?

The airship pulled back the ropes of the rods that were dug into the enormous ruby. The ropes seized and the ship pulled them even harder. Snugglemagne yelped in fear as he saw the Ruby begin to crack around the rods. With one final tug an entire chunk of the Ruby Pure Heart was ripped out and reeled onto the ship.

"No!" the king yelled as the chunk was loaded on the ship. One of the guards looked to the king and saw something unusual on the king's forehead but as soon as the guard realized what it was, he took immediate action.

"Get down, Your Majesty!" the guard yelled, tackling the king to the ground. A blue laser blast just barely missed the two of them.

"Come on! Let's get him out of here!" the guard yelled to the rest of them. They all got into formation and rushed the king off of the kingdom territory.

It had been two days since the event and the entire valley was in a state of panic. A whole piece of the Pure Heart was missing and that meant danger for all life in the valley. Not only was the magical barrier protecting the land from view gone but with such a piece missing, the Ruby had less power to give.

The King paced back and forth across the mess of his throne. The staff of the castle was working hard to clean the plaster and pieces that fell from the ceiling, along with repairing said ceiling. But Snugglemagne was not concerned for his palace, he was concerned for the sweetypies and the state of the valley. They all needed help as quickly as possible, and the King had an idea of who could aid them. He had heard tales of a family of legendary heroes and he was sure they would be able to quickly end this conflict. He left his staff in the throne room and walked up to his private quarters. The king quickly set up a letter requesting help from the legendary Mao family.

Returning to the throne room and calling for a messenger, he gave the letter and ordered it to be delivered as a top priority straight from the King. As the messenger dashed out of the kingdom, Snugglemagne sat on his throne and hoped for the best.

Far off in the distant lands stood a young cat, slashing his sword at the training dummies that were being wheeled towards him. Each one that came towards him was quickly slashed in half, the process quickly repeated itself until there were no more dummies left.

"Not bad, Meemaw." a large cat spoke to his son. "But all of your sisters managed to defeat more 'enemies' and they were all able to do it faster."

Mao Mao huffed to himself. Of course they did it better. It seemed that no matter what he did or however hard he tried, it was never good enough for his father. Anything he could do, all of his sisters could do better. Anytime he accomplished something and felt like he was getting stronger, his father was always there to remind him that he would never be as good as any of his sisters. But he was not going to give up. Mao Mao considered one day surprising his father and him admitting that is capable of an important milestone in his journey to becoming a legendary hero.

There was a frantic knocking at the door that could be heard from the dojo the two cats stood in. Both Shin Mao and Mao Mao rushed to the front door to see what all the noise was about.

"Urgent...message....valley....in peril..." the messenger panted, struggling to catch his breath. Instead he just handed the much taller cat the letter.

"And what is this?" Shin Mao asked, using a claw to tear open the envelope and take out the actual letter. He quickly skimmed the letter for what was the problem, expecting it to be another trivial problem not worth the family's time. But this letter came from a King, and not just any king. It was King Snugglemagne XXV.

"The mystical valley of Pure Heart has been attacked. A band of thieves have stolen a part of the Ruby Pure Heart! The valley and it's people are in terrible danger!" Shin Mao summarized ominously.

"Pure Heart Valley?" Mao Mao asked in confusion.

"It is a magical land of legend. No doubt the barrier protecting it from view has been destroyed. Action must be taken quickly before it is too late... But all of my daughters are out on missions of their own," Shin Mao mused to himself.

Mao Mao saw this as his opportunity to make his father proud and make a name for himself. If he could save Pure Heart Valley then he could join the status of a Hero of Legend. A chance to finally be seen in the same light as his sisters. And maybe his father could actually get his name right.

"Father. Send me." Mao Mao said firmly.

"You, Moo Moo? This is the whole valley of legend we're talking about. You are not prepared for.."

"Father, please. I want to show you that I'm just as capable as my sisters. You've never given me a chance to prove myself. Isn't it a hero's job to help those in need? I can help them," Mao Mao pleaded.

"Very well," Shin Mao sighed. "Excuse us for a second," the tall-armored cat said to the messenger.

Shin Mao led his son to the sacred room where he stored the legendary golden weapons. Shin Mao casually strolled up to the case table housing a single golden katana. Mao Mao felt his heart pounding, expecting a huge, dramatic ceremony to wield this sacred blade. But his father just took the sword out of the case and tossed it to the smaller cat.

"Here. You'll need this to take on those pirates. If you can take on those pirates," Shin Mao said firmly.

"Don't worry, Father. I won't let you down." Mao Mao bowed and took off for the messenger.

"If you're looking for a hero, then a hero is here! I'm gonna stop those pirates and save your valley," Mao Mao exclaimed. "Show me the way."

"Quickly." the messenger motioned for the cat to follow. The whole time Mao Mao's whole body felt electric. This was it, he had his own weapon and a heroic mission. Defending a legendary valley! Mao Mao was sure those pirates weren't gonna have any idea what was going to hit them.