The Prodigal Daughter - Chapter 6

Chatper 6

The next few days MaryBeth was busy. Busy finding a doctor, busy contacting a realtor she could trust in LA, busy avoiding Joey. Yes, she had accepted Christ, and she felt better. But, she still had problems forgiving herself. She subconsciously decided to not bring up her past, she did not want to throw it in her parents face. They had forgiven her and something her father said the other day struck a cord in her soul, reverberating anytime she had doubt. “We love you, we always will. No matter what you did, you are still our daughter and we love you.”

Joey, that was a different story, she knew he had forgiven her. He said it enough. But how could he still love her after everything? Every time they would be close, would he be wondering about all those other men? Would he be thinking about what she did? It was too much to risk for MaryBeth, so she decided to keep her distance as much as possible from him.

It had been hard to do that, he came by the house every day and Ann was determined to help him by talking him up to her daughter. Ann and Josh had always liked Joey, sure when they were teenagers, the couple thought the kids were too attached and needed some distance, that is why they wanted MaryBeth to go to Lee while Joey was at the University of Florida. So, Ann was determined to make sure the wrong had been corrected and Joey would be welcomed into her house.

They had that talk that Ann promised MaryBeth. It was more encouragement than anything, but Ann asked Joey to give MaryBeth time and she would eventually come around. Joey understood and told MaryBeth one day when he stopped by.

“Hey, how was your appointment?” Joey said as MaryBeth opened the door.

“Good, the doctor said that the baby is doing fine.”

“And how is mommy?”

“He said I am doing fine too.”

“I brought lunch, a kind of truce. I hope that’s OK.” Joey said as he showed her a bag.

“Only if it’s Joe’s.” MaryBeth said with a grin trying to peek into the bag.

“Best meatball sub in town.” Joey said with a grin. “Look, I talked with your mom. I know where you stand and that you are not ready for anything right now, but I have missed you for eight years. Can we at least hang out, be friends?”

“Friends ONLY!” MaryBeth said with a guarded smile. “But, I don’t want you thinking it can be anything more.”

“Friends” Joey said, but he thought ‘for now’. Joey would do anything to win her back and if he needed it to be a slow process, he could handle that! As long as Lizzie did not shut him out completely. He sat the sandwiches on the table and said, “I saw your mom at the church, she said that you found a realtor?”

“Yeah, she seems really nice and I feel like I can trust her. She has no connection with Richard or his business, so I know she will look out for my best interests. She said she would price it for a quick sale and after looking at it, she feels it should sell with no problems.”

“That is good.”

“Yeah, I don’t need the money right now, but eventually I need to move out of here and it would help.” MaryBeth said as she brought down a couple of plates and glasses.

“You are staying though, right?” Joey said as he pulled the two large meatball subs out of the bag.

“Yeah. I am not running away anymore.”

“I am glad to hear that,” Joey said as a smile spread across his face. He handed MaryBeth her sub and their fingers grazed each others. This was the first physical contact he had with her since the other day when he prayed with her. It might of been his imagination, but he felt an electrical pulse travel between them that brief moment. Then he looked up into MaryBeth’s clear blue eyes and realized she felt it too.