The Prodigal Daughter - Chapter 10

Chapter 10

At three o’clock Monday afternoon, MaryBeth and Joey met with her lawyer. The first thing he did was filed a restraining order against Richard. He was not allowed to come within a hundred yards of her or her home. As they did this, MaryBeth protested and said that he is in California, but Joey, her parents and now the lawyer thought that it was a good idea.

“Miss Waters,” Mr. Stevens, the lawyer said, “He has been here once, by your own admission. He could come again.”

“OK.” MaryBeth said and she signed the paperwork.

Next, they filled out cease and desist paperwork trying to stop him from sending videos to people. And finally they discussed the upcoming meeting with the SEC officer who would be in the office within the hour. Everything was set.

When the two SEC officers arrived, they took MaryBeth’s statement and asked her questions. Many of the questions Joey felt uncomfortable listening to the answers. They were more than willing to take the video and audio evidence that MaryBeth handed over, as well as documentation, address books and calendars. Mr. Stevens made sure that MaryBeth was granted full immunity since she was cooperating with the authorities. “Ms. Waters, we want you to know that this can be a long process. We will begin our investigation and take your evidence, but sometimes this can take months or even years.” The SEC officers told her as they shook her hand and left.

MaryBeth felt deflated. Like the fight that had held her together the last few days vanished in a puff of smoke. Joey felt her sink into despair and held her hand tight. “That is fine,” he told them in a calm voice. “As long as there is action taken against him to protect Lizzie, then we can handle this together.” MaryBeth smiled at him, but it never made it to her eyes that were misting over a little.

Although the meeting with the SEC was a success and MaryBeth was given immunity, she wanted immediate action, and they could not provide that. MaryBeth knew that her meeting later in the week with Mr. Windham was even more crucial.

As they drove back to her parents place, MaryBeth began to cry, “I don’t know if I can handle this Joey. I don’t know if I can fight him right now.” She said rubbing her stomach.

“Well, I will do whatever you want to make this easier for you. But if you don’t stop him, how far will he go? I mean, I am asking because I don’t know him.”

“He won’t stop until he gets what he wants,” MaryBeth said without emotion. ”Which, in this case, is me.”

“Well, he can’t have that!” Joey said with determination in his voice, taking hold of her hand and bringing it to his mouth and kissing it gently. Ever since MaryBeth admitted that she still loved Joey, he was on cloud nine. Nothing could bring him down. But, he did not like seeing her worried. And even though she was trying to put on a good front, he could tell. One thing was for sure, they both would be glad when all of this was behind them.

There had not been any more videos, that they knew of in the last few days. But, the rumor mill had been going ever since the picnic and MaryBeth and Abbey’s argument. Then on Sunday, when MaryBeth and Joey showed up at church holding hands, the rumors were flying. Handling everything with dignity and grace, MaryBeth and Joey ignored gossips and decided that people will gossip about anything and they happened to be it today, and by the time something else happened they would be off the hook, at least for a while.

The couple was now inseparable. Spending as much time as possible together, just like when they were teenagers. The only exceptions was when Joey had to work, and then at night when they went to their own homes. MaryBeth often stopped by the church to spend time with Joey or take something to her father and would pop in to see him. Each time he saw her, he could feel his heart leap and feel like it was going to beat out of his chest.