The Prodigal Daughter - Chapter 15 COMPLETED

Chapter 15

The weeks leading up to the wedding were busy. Not only with Christmas preparations, but with finalizing the sale of the condo, and buying a house in Inverness. They found one down the street from Joshua and Ann for sale. They contacted a builder to make some modifications and improvements. They could have bought a larger house in a new neighborhood. But, they wanted something close so that the grandparents could see the baby as much as they wanted. Besides, Joey didn’t want to use all of MaryBeth’s money from the sale of the condo. They were set to move in days before the wedding.

The wedding, they had planned was going to be small. With just family and a few close friends. But, people in the church found out and assumed it would be a grand wedding like Abbie’s. Then the youth found out and they wanted to be involved. MaryBeth knew that deep down Joey wanted to have the teens from his youth group there. So, they decided to have a church wedding and invite the church.

“Simple finger foods, mom.” MaryBeth told Ann when she told her of the plans to change a couple of weeks before. “Nothing more, finger foods and a cake.”

“But, darlin, you are only going to get married once. Let’s do this to be everything you ever dreamed of.”

“Mom, marrying Joey is all I ever dreamed of. The other stuff is for everyone else. I would elope tonight if he would let me.”

“Now don’t say that!” Ann scolded. “Every girl dreams of her wedding. Let us do this for you.”

“Mom, I just want to marry Joey and have the baby and start our life together. Promise me, finger foods and a cake.”

“Whatever you want.”

“Thank you!” MaryBeth said. Now if she only believed her mother would honor that request.

Days before the wedding she went for her final fitting of her wedding dress. She really would not call it a gown. It was strapless and the material was gathered an layered so that she only looked about five months pregnant instead of almost nine. It flowed down to her ankles and she had decided to be married barefoot. With how swollen her feet were, it would be difficult for her to wear her normal strappy high heels. The color of the dress had also been a big discussion. She did not feel she should wear white. Although her mother told her it would be fine. Instead though, she had it made in a light blue shade and she told her mother that she could have it altered and wear it again. It was beautiful on her.

MaryBeth had a doctors appointment the day before the wedding and the baby was perfect. The delivery should come on time, around December 28. The house was ready and Joey had moved his things in and most of MaryBeth’s things, even though she was still living at her parents, Joey had already moved in.

The day of the wedding arrived and things were going smoothly. The church kitchen was a bustle of activity with the caterer that had been hired and the decorator putting on the finishing touches, the cake was being delivered. And although Ann held to her promise of finger foods, they were the most fancy hors d’oeurvres that this church had ever seen. Ann tried to explain it to her, “Baby, this is your only wedding and for Abbie everything was at the country club and the best of everything. I don’t mind doing it small, but it will be nice!” So, MaryBeth gave in to allow her mother this extravagance.

Getting ready, MaryBeth felt the baby kick. “Calm down baby. I know you are excited, but you need to be calm today.” MaryBeth said as she stroked her stomach. Her mother brought her something to eat and a cup of hot tea in hopes that it would relax her nerves.

It was time for her to walk down the aisle and marry Joey. Her father was doing double duty. He walked in to escort her down the aisle and then he was performing the ceremony. There were about two hundred guests in attendance and although there were surprised faces when they saw the color of her gown, she was so beautiful, it took their breath away. She smiled at Joey as she held on to her father’s arm. About half way down the aisle the baby kicked again. Reflexes kicked into motion and MaryBeth rubbed her stomach.