The Prodigal Daughter - Chapter 12

Chapter 12

The last thing MaryBeth expected was to come face to face with her past. But, that is exactly what happened. Restraining order or not, when MaryBeth left a client, one that she was consulting for web based advertisement and PR, a black limo with tinted windows pulled up in front of her. She had two options, go around the car to her car or go back in the building. But, when she started walking around the vehicle, a large man stepped out of the passenger side of the front seat and told her to get in.

“No.” She said. She had no clue who this was, but there was no way she was getting into a car that she did not know who or why she was meeting.

“I said, GET IN!” He said as he grabbed her arm and pushed her towards the back door. She could have fought, but then would have just either been hurt or maybe the baby would have been hurt, so she complied.

“Get in darling, don’t make a fuss.” A voice said from the back seat as the door opened and she was pushed in.

It took a minute for her eyes to adjust to the dark interior. “Richard!” She yelled, “You are not suppose to be within a hundred yards of me! I have a restraining order.”

“Elizabeth, you are in my vehicle. You got in of your own free will.”

“Like HELL I did! I was grabbed.”

“Your word against ours. We are going to have a talk.”

Thinking quickly, MaryBeth reached quietly into her bag and hit 911 on the phone. She let him go on about how they needed to be alone to talk, giving the operator time to pick up. Then she began yelling. “Richard! How dare you. There is a restraining order and you just kidnapped me! Where are we going. I can’t see anything out of these windows. Take me back to Citrus Plaza I want my car.”

“Are you done?”

“No! Where are we going?”

“To the airstrip! I have a plane waiting. You will talk to me and you will return with me!”

“I don’t want to. I never want to go back to your prison. I never want to see you again.”

“And what about the baby? I am the child’s father.”

“Maybe biologically, but you will have nothing to do with this child. You wanted me to abort him.”

“Him? So it is a boy?”

“I don’t know. I don’t want to know. And you will never know.”

“Oh, I bet I will. Someone so special.” He said as he eyed her up and down and put his hand on her thigh. “I don’t think I will let you just slip away.” He then let his hand slide up her leg and although he went up her skirt a little with his hand, he eyed the baby bump that was now very visible. He reached up and put his hand on the bump that was his offspring. “And my child is my child and you can not change that.”

As they pulled into the airport, something was wrong. There were at least ten police cars surrounding the plane and three more coming in behind them. “Sir, we have a problem.” The muscle said from the front seat.

“Yeah, I can tell.” Richard said. “Since our time together is almost up let me say, NEVER contact one of my associates every again without my permission. And SEC? Really? I have contacts!! No matter what the old man promised you and no matter what you had to give him in order for him to help you, it won’t work. My government contacts are in high places.” He said with a smile.

“This is not the last you have seen of me.” He said as he leaned over and kissed her. No matter how much MaryBeth tried to resist, he was stronger than her. His hand firmly on her thigh held her in place as he reached up and cupped her breast with his hand. “Oh how pregnancy agrees with you. I would have never thought your breast could be any better, but now, they are so full.” He said as he squeezed them, “Plump. I am getting excited just thinking about it. About you laying in my bed naked as I ravage you over and over.”

“Keep dreaming Richard. Because that is never going to happen again. Excuse me.” MaryBeth said as she reached into her bag.

“Did you get all of that on tape?” She asked into the phone.

“BITCH!” Richard said as his hand came fast and slapped her across the face.

“I learned from the best ‘darlin’” MaryBeth said with a smile.

There was a tap on the window. MaryBeth notice the muscle was out of the car along with the driver, who seemed rather innocent, but they were both talking to police. Several of the officers that were close to the car had their weapons either drawn or ready for any problems. MaryBeth put the phone back up to her ear as she placed her other hand on the cheek that had just been slapped. "Yes, he did just assault me. But no, he does not have a weapon." She looked at Richard, "They want us out of the vehicle. In case you could not tell with all the guns.” MaryBeth said as she nodded towards the closest police officer inching towards the vehicle with a gun pulled. “Give up now before there is any problems."

MaryBeth reached out and opened the car door. “I am getting out. Are you going to do anything to stop me?”

“Don’t leave me.” Richard pleaded. “I can’t do it without you.”

“Richard, you don’t love me and I don’t love you. I can’t go back to that life. I am done.” And with that, she exited the car, walked to a police officer and collapsed.

When MaryBeth started to wake up, she knew she was not alone. She heard her father praying for her. She felt someone holding her hands. And she felt the throbbing pain in her face. Opening her eyes and focusing on her surroundings, she realized she was in a hospital room. The last thing she remembers was leaving Richard.

“What happened?”

“You collapsed.” Her mother said. Ann was not one to mince words, “They don’t know if it is because of stress or because you have not eaten in several hours. They said physically you are OK.”

MaryBeth did not want to confess to her mother that she had only had a cup of decaf this morning. Sitting up she asked, “When can I leave?”

“They will probably let you go soon since you are awake now.” Joshua said looking at his daughter. “Let me go and tell them you are awake.”

“How long have I been out?”

“A couple of hours.” Joey said rubbing her hand. He lowered his head to her hand and she thought she heard him say, “Thank you God!”

Taking her other hand and running her fingers through Joey’s hair. “Baby, I am fine. I am sorry I worried you.”

“You didn’t worry me. He did.”

“Richard?”

“Yeah, the police called as soon as they figured out it was you. Your dad came rushing into my office and we headed to the airport. We got there just in time to see you collapse. I have never been so scared in all of my life. Then that Richard gets out and they cuff him, he sees me and said, ‘She will always be mine. She will always have a piece of me.’ I wanted to deck him so bad, but I ran to you instead. I have never hated someone the way I hated him at that moment.”

“He has nothing, nothing of me. And the only thing that I have of him I am carrying here.” She said as she pointed to her growing stomach.

“Then when I saw you and saw that he hit you. I hated him even more.”

“He slapped me when I told him there was no future and no way I was going back with him. My cheek hurts, but I will survive.” MaryBeth said reaching up and putting her hand where the red mark still left a hand print.

“Well, he is in jail right now. Assault and kidnapping. Not to mention breaking his restraining order. So, let’s not think about him.”

The doctor came in moments later and assured me MaryBeth that she was OK and that the baby was doing well. Ann drove her home and Joshua drove Joey to pick up MaryBeth’s car. As soon as MaryBeth was home, Ann made her get into bed to rest.

“Mom, I am not tired.”

“Darlin, you just came out of the hospital and you had a concussion from that evil man hitting you. You need your rest.”

MaryBeth gave in, simply because she was a little tired and did not want to argue. Fall was in the air outside. As much as it could be in Florida. MaryBeth put on her fuzzy flannel pajamas and turned her ceiling fan on and climbed into bed to cuddle under her blanket.

She was almost asleep when she heard the door click open. “Lizzie? Are you asleep?” Joey whispered.

“No. Come in.” MaryBeth said. She lifted her blanket and said, “Climb in bed with me.”

Joey fought with himself. A part of him knew he could sit on the bed and be OK, but as a youth pastor, he should not get in bed with her. Not to mention the fact that he wanted her more than anything. But the other part of him just wanted to hold her and let her know she was safe. Hold her and let himself know she was safe in his arms. And that part gave in. Joey kicked off his shoes and climbed under the covers and held Lizzie. His Lizzie. The one he loved and would never want anyone or anything to take away again.

“I love you.” He whispered in her ear as he spooned up against her back and pulled her close to his chest. “I love you so much.”

“I know. I love you too.” MaryBeth said as she turned her head around to give him a peck on the lips. As she turned, the baby kicked.

“He is turning into a soccer star.” MaryBeth said as she turned onto her stomach. “Did you feel that one?”

Joey’s hand had been on her stomach. “Yeah. So? You think it is a boy?” Joey asked as he propped his head up on his hand.

“I don’t know. I just have a feeling.”

“Have you decided? You know, if you are going to keep the baby?”

“No.”

“Have you talked to your parents?” Joey asked as he put his hand under her shirt to rub her baby bump.

“No. I am kind of afraid what they will say. I don’t want it to force me to do something I am not comfortable with. So, it is just you that knows. I want to keep it that way right now.”

“You can trust me.” Joey said with a kiss.

“I know.” MaryBeth said with a smile.

Lying in bed together, the pair lost themselves in each other knowing that through everything, they were together again. They were safe and confident that they could survive anything together. MaryBeth no longer thought about other men or things she had done in her past when she was with Joey. It was just her and Joey. And he was in her bed. Something MaryBeth thought about suddenly. She had not enticed him there. She had not tricked him there. He was there because he loved her and wanted to just hold her. She turned her head and did what she wanted more than anything. She kissed him.

Kissing is an art form. Some people kiss like your mom or grandma giving you a thank you kiss for a drawing before they hang it on the fridge. Some people think they know what they are doing, but in reality don’t. Many people know they are not an artist or a good kisser and just deal with it. But, there are a few, a very few that actually know what they are doing and know how to make their partner moan in ecstasy during the kiss and groan in disappointment at the end of the kiss. Kissing Joey was like that for MaryBeth, every fiber of their being was tuned into the perfect kiss.