Urgent Care (chapter 1/ 'Teaser')

It was like every other day that I’ve woken up to in the past, cold, yet comforting, longing to be somewhere else and today wasn’t any different.

Like every other day I get up, got ready and rushed out the door before any of my parents could say a word. I get too school just minutes before first hour, and take a seat as the bell rings. My first hour is Math. Just like normal I zombie it through the first four hours before lunch, hardly remembering any of it.

I sit down for lunch and as per usual no one dares to sit next to me. This town is filled with all perfect families but one. A family with abuse, alcohol, and divorcement all mixed into a large pot of Crap Life Stew. Sadly I’m the cause of these problems. Some one taps me on the shoulder to take me off of my trail of thoughts.

“Excuse me. June?”

“That would be me…”

“Your mom and dad are in the lobby waiting for you. They said it was urgent”

“Oh. Okay. I’ll be right there…” why are they here early… and why both of them together in the same room!?!?!

I get up to go to the lobby when I slip on a puddle of spilt water, throwing my food into the air only to come right back down to land on me. The entire lunch room erupts in laughter, except for one new kid I’d never noticed before.

“What!?” I say with tears filling my eyes.

I rush out of the lunch room into the hallway that leads to the bathrooms. I quickly tidy myself up and remembered whatever my parents needed was urgent. “What could be so urgent?” I muse out loud.

“I don’t know, you tell me.”

I whirl around in utter shock that there was some one there. I turned around only to find the tall, dark haired, chocolate eyed guy from the cafeteria. “No one was supposed to hear that, especially not you.”

“Whoa, what did I do to you?”

“You didn’t laugh, not one giggle came out of you, Not One!” I felt my eyes sear with heat from the ears that were coming back. The new kid slowly picked his hand up to my cheeks and swept away the stray tear drops saying,

“I didn’t know that was a bad thing. Did you want me to laugh?” he said the last part with a flirtful smirk. His touch made me want to melt and confess everything, but I knew I shouldn’t and quickly remembered how the necessity of my presence was urgent.

“Sorry but like I said I’m needed urgently” I turned back to my original direction and made my way toward the lobby.

When I reached the lobby both my parents had tear stained eyes, blood shot from horror. I froze immediately at the sight of them.

“It’s your brother.” was all they could say.