| chapter one |

| chapter one |

Avengers' Tower - 2011

"Still no answer." Tony explained as he failed to reach the line of Nick Fury. 

"What if he isn't here? What if he didn't come back?" Wanda asks. "Is it possible that it's only us this happened to?"

"In the three days we've been here, Bruce and Tony have figured out that everyone that was directly involved in the war have been brought back. Nick was one of the most involved people, he has to be back."

"But what about Pietro? How is he back?" Clint questions.

"Maybe it's everyone who had something to do with us, in a good way. I looked up Aldrich Killian's file, he's still dead, it just doesn't say when he died." Tony theorises. 

"So, what, we defeated Thanos, which none of us can actually remember how, and then we were all transported back to before most of it even happened?"

"It would seem that way, Barton." Came a deep voice from the elevator.

The Avengers turned round to see none other than Nick Fury leaving the shaft. 

"Where the hell have you been?" Steve interrogates.

"Busy, Cap. A lot has happened, in case you hadn't noticed. But we've got the answers that everyone needs. Where are the rest of them?"

"Everyone apart from us went home. We decided to stay together because we don't know what's different out there." Natasha explained. 

Fury looked round and observed each of the 13 individuals in the room. Wanda clung to Pietro, grateful to have her twin brother back with her, while Vision floated near the large window, observing the city from afar.

"It would seem we were brought back in time." He drawls. "But nobody can figure out how, or why."

"Nobody knows how. I doubt we ever will. But we're pretty certain on why."

"Please, tell us." Steve says hotly.

"It's the year 2011. We were in 2019 less than four days ago. It's strongly believed, and we have found evidence for the fact that none of it should have happened in the first place." Fury paused and looked at everyone's confused facial expressions. "We believe that originally, something else was supposed to happen, that would have left to a whole different turn of events. But one small mistake was made, and thus we were lead down a different path. One that ended in a lot of grief and loss."

"What was supposed to happen?" Bucky speaks up from his place on the couch.

"Funny you should ask, Barnes. But it's more like what was not supposed to happen. Someone got lost."