| chapter four |

| chapter four |

S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters; meeting room

"She's just incredibly shy. It took her hours to warm up to me, and even now she's not completely confident. It feels like she's pushing herself to be more open, so we need to go slowly. Her upbringing led her to take cautious steps wherever she goes in fear alone, never mind the complete change she now has to cope with." Steve explained to the 5 other people in the room.

The decision of who Clara would meet next was a difficult one, but was thankfully made much easier when Fury informed them of a short, but compulsory, undercover mission that required a certain skill set. So, Steve stayed behind along with Bucky, Peter, Bruce, Pietro and Wanda while the other six left for Prague.

"We can't treat her like a mission, Steve." Bucky reminded him. "Yes, it's going to take a lot of pre-thought, and a lot of caution to get her to warm up to us and see us for who we really are, but we can't sit her and discuss our next move like we're infiltrating a base."

"I know that. But she's so withdrawn form the world, she's still getting used to this era and she will be for a long time, the last thing any of us need is for her to be stressed about soulmates. She already had enough hassle with that in her childhood with Ruth and George."

A knock sounded at the door before Steve could carry on his sentence, a flustered nurse Redford came through the door, barely able to speak through the harsh pants that escaped her dry mouth.

"She's not in her room. I left for fifteen minutes, took her breakfast and she was gone. She wasn't even awake when I left!" The group shot out of their seats and rushed past the nurse, with her following behind them in a hurry. "I have an agent checking the security cameras and follow where she went, he said it wouldn't take long. I'm so sorry, I didn't know she'd move around in her own."

The team quickly made their way to the security room, catching an agent following a small figure moving around the compound in a daze, turning back on herself a few times and heading in a different direction.

"She's in the garden." Steve realised as he watched her look for the door that led to the outside world. He turned around and walked quickly in the direction of the garden, shouting at the others to follow him slowly so he can talk to her first before they all come out.

Steve could feel his pounding as he neared the open door, hoping that his soulmate hadn't moved again and somehow got lost in the large compound. It would be quite hard to find her, especially if she went in the rooms with other people. Once he saw the door that was open ajar, he felt himself speed up and push it open with ease, his body instantly relaxing when he saw the small shadow sitting on the bench they sat on the day before.