| chapter five |

| chapter five |

S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters - main common room

Steve patiently held the door open for his young soulmate as she prepared herself. The emotions were running through her mind like a hurricane, sending her brain into a whirr. Excited coursed through her veins, but anxiety glued her legs to the floor. Once she took another look in Steve's eyes, she felt a wave of courage and stepped through the threshold into the room where she saw the backs of five other people who were chatting quietly amongst themselves.

Steve clears his throat when their voices dull, though he knew Bucky had heard them and Peter and Wanda could sense them. The conversation stops completely and they all turn and look towards them with smiles on their faces. Clara feels her heart race as she slightly steps behind Steve, not hidden but edging away from their eyesight.

A man with dark, tied-up hair stands and fumbles with his hands, not exactly knowing where to put them. Steve puts his hand on the small of Clara's back and gestures to the man with the other.

"Would you like them to introduce themselves or me to do it?" Steve asks.

"They can do it. Thank you." Clara gives a shy smile to him and steps out from behind him.

She watches as the standing man moves forward slowly.

"My name's Bucky. My first name is James but nobody calls me that, unless I'm in trouble." He jokes with her. Clara laughs slightly and gives a small wave at him, not looking him in the eyes yet, knowing what it would entail. She was already struggling with the intensity of the tingles on both sides of her body, her right more than her left.

"Uhm, my name's Peter. My first name is also Peter." A younger boy says from behind him. He offers a small wave before she can, and she returns it with a smile.

"I'm Bruce Banner, it's nice to meet you." Another man says from behind, his voice slightly wavering as he speaks. She smiles at him, too, able to tell that he was slightly more on edge than the others.

"I'm Pietro. This is Wanda, my sister." A silver-haired man introduced the two of them, indicating to the long haired woman next to him. She smiled at the both of them in return, before realising it was her turn.

"Uhm, I'm Clara Belle. Thank you for being so nice and letting me stay, and for being patient with me."

"Of course, we're not monsters." Bucky chuckles.

"I hope not. But I like your arm, is it real?"

"Oh, thank you. It's real, no flesh arm for me, unfortunately."