10

"Some people are saying that you've lost control of the investigation." One journalist shouted above the rest. "Do you think it's time the investigation was handed over to more experienced detectives?"

Cole glared at the journalist, before smoothing the grimace from his face.

"My team are more than qualified to be handling this investigation. Everything is currently progressing as these investigations are expected to. We're following several lines of enquiry, and are by no means admitting defeat. Whilst you people are busy thinking up cute nicknames for this murderer, and provoking panic amongst to community, my detectives are actually trying to achieve something worthwhile with their time."

The room was silent for a moment as the journalists digested what he'd just said.

Many of them looked shocked.

However, the clamouring of questions soon began again.

"That's all for now." Cole rose from his seat and stepped down from the conference table, slipping from the room to the noise of the screeching journalists.

Dom and Rex grinned at him as he walked into the incident room.

"It's about time someone told them that, sir." Dom smirked. "Did you see their faces?"

Dom, in particular, had a great dislike for the media.

After Adrian's ex-husband had abducted both him and his daughter, Rachel, five years before, a three-month man-hunt had ensued to find Adrian again.

After Jamie King had been detained, the media had started digging around in Adrian's past, and painted King as the victim, rather than as a kidnapper and would-be murderer.

Dom had found both himself and Adrian in the middle of a media frenzy in the aftermath of King's trial.

The hatred from that affair had never quite vanished from Dom, Rex knew.

However, his wounds were soothed a little a few months later, when King had been murdered by his cellmate over a packet of cigarettes.

Rex knew for a fact that Dom had pulled some strings and the inmate had received a few weeks of preferential treatment from the prison guards as thanks for finished King off.

"How's that warrant coming for Wilson's records?" Cole asked.

"No-go, I'm afraid." Rex sighed. "The magistrate didn't think we had enough cause to seize medical records."

Cole groaned.

"Alright." He said finally. "We're just going to have to go with another angle. What else have we got to work with?"

"The rose the killer leaves?" Dom suggested thoughtfully. "They're very good quality, not cheap. And if he's only buying one at time, the flower shops might remember him."

"The rose hasn't been released to the media. That's probably why none have come forward saying they've had a man come in a buy just one red rose." Rex said slowly.

Dom opened his mouth to speak, when the phone trilled loudly, cutting him off.

He picked it up, and almost immediately growled angrily.

"Another disturbance. Neighbour heard screams, when over to investigate, and found the home-owner dead in his bed."

"Is it definitely-"

"Red rose on the pillow, front door left open." Dom said before Rex could finish.

"Christ."

Rex let out a few choicy swear words, before getting his coat and following Dom down to the car park.