27

Rex waited half an hour or so before going downstairs and searching for Eli. He found him in the living room, curled up on the end of the sofa with Mia resting on his legs. He looked very uncomfortable with the massive dog resting on his legs.

"Hey," Rex murmured quietly, making Eli jump. "Come back to bed."

Eli shook his head.

"I'm alright here."

"Eli."

Rex sat down on the arm of the sofa. He reached out and stroked the smaller man's soft hair gently. His large hand cupped almost the entirety of the back of Eli's skull easily. He felt Eli lean a little into his touch, and felt comforted by the gesture. He leant down and kissed the top of Eli's head.

"Come to bed." He insisted gently.

Eli slowly got to his feet, slipping his hand into Rex's.

They went back upstairs to the spare bedroom and cuddled down underneath the covers.

Eli, as usual, sprawled himself out on top of Rex, his head nestled in the centre of Rex's chest, listening to his heartbeat.

"I'll never be normal, will I?" Eli whispered after a long silence.

Rex wrapped his arms around Eli and squeezed him gently.

"You will be. It will just take some time." He kissed Eli's temple gently.

Eli sighed and snuggled closer to the big detective.

A soft knock on the door jolted Eli from the doze he was falling into.

With a groan, he got to his feet and went across to open it.

"Sorry to interrupt," Adrian murmured. "I heard you come back up a few minutes ago. Everything alright?"

Eli nodded.

"Yeah, just... nervous. And... scared." Eli rubbed his ear nervously.

Adrian smiled.

*

Rex looked over at the door, and saw Eli conversing quietly with Adrian. He wondered what they could be talking about at almost one o'clock in the morning.

He waited patiently for them to finish, before propping himself up on his elbow and looking at Eli closely.

"What was that about?" He asked curiously.

"Adrian wanted... to check on me," Eli said evasively.

He sat back down on the edge of the bed, his back to Rex.

"What's the matter?" Rex leant over and kissed the back of his neck gently.

"I... I'm scared of... doing it. With you," Eli whispered.

"I figured you would be," Rex said after a moment's silence. "Why are you? Because I'm... big?"

"Well... yeah. Not down there, I mean, but just... generally. You're a big guy."

"And you're worried I'll... hurt you?"

"I'm worried you won't stop." Eli sighed. "I know you will."

He continued quickly, seeing Rex's expression.

"I just... worry."

"Eli..."

Rex pulled Eli back into his arms, rolling him onto his side so that they were face to face.

"I love you." He murmured. "And I would never force you to do a thing you didn't want to."