21

It was almost seven o'clock in the morning before Rex and Cole returned to the station.

They found Eli curled up in Rex's desk chair, a mug of cold tea beside him, engrossed in his book.

Rex grinned and waved a hand in front of Eli's face.

Eli started and looked up.

"Hi. I didn't hear you come in."

"I noticed."

"Oh, if anyone asks, I'm your cousin David."

"What?"

"I was talking to the receptionist. She asked me who I was and I had to make stuff up. So, I'm your adopted cousin, David, who's just spent three years in Spain after deciding to settle there whilst helping my retired parents adjust to life in Spain."

Rex grinned and patted Eli's head.

"Quick thinking, rabbit," he said, smirking at Eli's expression.

"Barnett."

Cole called Rex across to his office and closed the door.

"Is there something going on between you two?"

"I... I don't know, sir," Rex said. "We've talked about it, but not really-"

"I don't need details." Cole said quickly. "Listen. Dom and Adrian were lucky; Jamie King was killed before his case went to trial. They didn't have to deal with the lawyers in court. You and Eli will. And you know that the defence lawyers would love hearing about the pair of you."

"I know."

"I'm just thinking that perhaps... you should distance yourself a little."

Rex sighed and rubbed his eyes, before nodding reluctantly.

"He can stay with Dom and Adrian. Aidy's home most of the day, and can keep him company."

Cole nodded.

"Take him over to Dom's now. They should be back home."

Rex nodded and went back out to Eli. He opened his mouth to start explaining what was happening, when the phone rang.

"Is this Detective Barnett?" A female voice asked.

"Yes. Can I ask who's calling?"

"My name's Lillian Jones. I work for Doctor Rebecca Wilson. I'm a receptionist."

"We've already spoken to Doctor Wilson, Miss Jones."

"I know. And as I understand, she wasn't particularly helpful."

Rex didn't answer.

"I've been away on maternity leave for seven months, Detective. I came back yesterday, and was told about your visit by my colleague. My first husband was killed six years ago in a hit-and-run accident. My then-best friend, it turns out, had witnessed what had happened, but held back going to the police because her husband had a record, and told her not to go to them. I wouldn't hold things back from the police, after what happened to me, sir."

"I don't see how this is relevant to me, Miss Jones."

"When I went on maternity leave, there was a third receptionist here. Francine Dougherty. She apparently left very suddenly about six months ago, after giving only a day's notice. Thinking about it, it seems very strange, because she liked working here. We tried to contact her, to ask why she hadn't completed her obligatory four weeks work after handing in her notice, but the phone number we had for her had been disconnected."