15

Rex returned to the hospital later that night, pleased to find Eli was still awake.

"Hello," he said, smiling cheerfully.

He noticed Eli's eyes slid to the box in his hands, and grinned.

"I brought you a present. Figured you'd need cheering up a bit."

He opened the box and pulled out a cat carrier.

After checking there were no doctors about, Rex closed the door and let the cat out of the carrier.

She leapt lightly down onto the bed and padded up to curl on Eli's chest. His hand came up to stroke her, and she started purring softly.

She was a beautiful, slim Siamese, with a dark face, tail and legs and a creamy body.

Rex reached over to scratch her ears and she turned her head towards him, eyes closed in pleasure.

Eli croaked softly, before rolling his eyes in exasperation, and picking up his white board.

She likes you. She doesn't like many people.

"My cat's the same. Aeacus. He's evil."

One of the Greek judges of the dead.

Eli smiled at Rex's surprised look.

I like Greek mythology. It's a hobby.

"I don't really have a hobby... Don't have much time for one, to be honest."

What do you enjoy doing for fun?

Rex shrugged.

"I like reading. But mostly, I just get autopsy reports or crime statistics to read nowadays. I haven't used my library card in eight months."

Eli smiled.

Maki curled into a ball on his chest and fell asleep. He scratched her ear absentmindedly.

Everyone needs a hobby. He wrote. Something to help them relax. Otherwise, you just get miserable.

"I know," Rex said wearily, sinking into the armchair.

He rubbed his eyes tiredly.

"Believe me, I know." He yawned widely. "Is there anyone you want me to call for you? Family? Friends?"

Eli shook his head firmly.

I don't have many friends, outside of work. And I don't want work to find out what happened. I... don't have parents.

"I'm sorry," Rex said quietly. "I don't either. Mine died in a car crash, three years ago."

I'm sorry. My parents and I... we don't speak. There was an argument, and... we're estranged.

Rex read the sign and nodded.

I want to go home. Can you persuade the doctors to let me go?

"Eli, you've just had major surgery on your throat. They won't let you home."

Rex smiled at Eli's sad look.

"I'll come and see you every day. And I'll have the police artist come and sit with you one day this week. Were you bored today? I can fetch you some books or something, if you'd like."

Eli shrugged.

Someone came and took photos of me... They did tests, and... He shrugged again. I just want to go home.

He scratched Maki's ears for a moment, feeling tears fill his eyes.

Rex opened his mouth to speak, when his phone rang.

He answered it, and Eli saw the detective's face turn thunderous as he listened.

"Do you think he knows Eli's alive? Do you think that's why...?"

Rex listened for a moment.

"The cat. He knows he left his DNA. He could be in the system. Tell Will to hurry up running the DNA through the system."

Rex hung up and looked at Eli sympathetically.

What's happened? Another body?

"Two," Rex said quietly. "Looks like they were done the same night as you were attacked, and the morning after."

Same guy?

"Yeah... there are some details we haven't released to the media. Only the killer would know them, and they're present at both scenes."

Rex sighed and rubbed a hand across his eyes.

"I'll come back as soon as I've finished. Try and get some sleep."

Eli nodded.

Rex gently lifted Maki from Eli's chest and rubbed her ears for a moment, before putting her back in the cat carrier.

"I'll take her to my house before I go to work."

Eli nodded, hiding a yawn.

Rex smiled and squeezed his hand, before leaving the room.