Chapter 8

Disclaimer:
I do not own anything from the Troll Hunters universe, including characters, storyline and awesome catch phrases.

I do however own Bodil and her story. Plus any additional characters I throw in along the way.
———————————————
Shocker....
"Maybe we only thought we saw it?" Wow, Toby back-pedalled out of that one pretty quick.

"Blinkous Galadrigal, I've not left the Heartstone in a century. I only did so tonight because of the grave peril the Killahead Bridge represents. For you to invoke that danger without just cause-" then again I think Blinky would also have liked the option of backpedaling.

"It's obviously been moved," I cut in before the lecture could progress any further. "The Killahead Bridge is pretty difficult to mistake for a boat. And besides no Changeling is dumb enough to leave a hunk of stone that important laying around where the Trollhunter knows its location."

Vendal turned to me then, a look of scorn and mildly concealed disgust at being interrupted by an 'inferior, non- intellectual'. Let's face it, it's not my interruption that has turned his expression to that of a replica of someone confronted by a disgusting smelling odour, it's my mere presence that has placed that scowl on his face.

"You would know wouldn't you, Impure?"

For a respected village elder Vendal was stepping dangerously close to losing mine.
"I'm not Impure."

"You are a Changeling, are you not?"

"Changelings aren't 'impure'. We're just a different type of Troll that hasn't been accepted yet." I stated firmly. "I'm growing fed up with the up-turned noses and high- school- social- ladder- drama-crap I'm getting from the Trolls simply because I'm not '100% Troll' or '100% 'normal. Just because I have two appearances, Troll and human, doesn't make me any less of a Troll. It just makes me 100% more awesome than you."

The tension hung thick within the room. The echoing halls of the museum were silent as not even Toby dared speak up. Finally Vendal broke the silence.

"You're no Troll nor human. You're not even a 'pure' Changeling. You have no human baby Familiar. You're an experiment of Gunnar's who can't even stay in her Troll form."

Ouch. Vendal speaks the truth. I was, am an experiment. I was the first Changeling.... but I wasn't the first successful Changeling.
When they spliced my DNA with that of a human's, they tried to contain both physical forms in the one body. And it worked.... to a degree. I am Troll and I am human. However unlike 'regular' Changelings, I don't have a Familiar to share the physical strain and appearance with. I don't copy another, I am another. And I am me.

And from that strain stems my failure. I can't sustain one form for extended periods of time. Especially not my stronger Troll form, I always default back to human. And usually at the most inconvenient of times.

And that made me a liability to Gunmar.

Focusing back on the current situation I replied calmly,              "I know Changelings, and I know Bular. He's a lot smarter than you play him off to be. He wouldn't leave the bridge here unless he wanted to lure the Trollhunter into a trap. Let's just be glad he didn't chose the second option.
The bridge has been moved."