Chapter 4

A/N: right quick I attached a photo of what Stephen looks like as I realized I haven't actually shown him let alone described what he looks like... eheh.. ONWARDS!

Alex's P.O.V.

          "Alright. This is how this whole thing is going to play out. If you listen to me closely and swear on the dead soul of your late beloved that what you are about to hear doesn't leave this room, I'll tell you why we know so much about you when in your head you feel like you haven't ever seen either of us before in your lives. Deal?" Marcus spoke to me with such a serious tone I thought that someone was about to die. What I was in for was about the same thing as that so I guess I wasn't that far off...

          I nodded my head and looked around us as I saw Marcus wave his hands about and a purple mist form from them and slither out into the air and then envelope the room in it before it disappeared as though it was never there to begin with. Marcus must've known I was a tad confused as to what the hell just happened, because I then heard him give a light chuckle.

          "Magic." He simply put. Huh, didn't know vampires knew magic. I thought they had their own powers, so why in the world do they need to have magic on top of that? Unless it's just Marcus. That would make sense, seeing as he is their leader after all. Something's gotta make him stand out above the rest of the purebloods. Though something inside me makes me think he wasn't born with the gift of magic. I feel like he's probably learned it somehow. But do witches even exist anymore? I thought the humans burned them all... Oh well I'm getting off subject anyway. Maybe I'll look into it more in the future, though I'm not all that interested to be honest.

          "I swear to you that I won't tell a single soul what I'm about to hear."

          "Good. I've just placed a barrier around this room so that not only can no one enter, but also no one can eavesdrop. This room is now soundproof. Even if you scream bloody murder, no one will be able to hear you even if their ear is pressed tightly against the door. Vampire nor human can hear us in here."

          For some reason this made me gulp. What if they were actually asking me here all along to kill me? I mean, I am top vampire killer in our district. Even if I no longer have a job there, that doesn't take away my skills. It would make sense if they were really just plotting to get rid of me once and for all. Despite everything, I've actually done both sides a favor, though. I only killed the ones who were ruthless and didn't care about anyone's existence. They just murdered for blood, went insane, and were a menace to both the human population and everything else that had a heartbeat. That included the vampire society. I'm sure they can thank me for that much at least. However, I'll attempt to keep my cool and if things go sour... I always keep a spare hidden pocket knife in my back pocket. I'll be able to react super quick too. So, no matter what, I'm protected. I just have to ensure that they can't better me.

          "Oh you needn't worry about us killing you. You're actually quite dear to both me and Stephen here. You... well... you're actually family."

          .....I'm sorry.. what?

          It was dead silent, even I could hear the blood rushing through my veins. I was so shocked I didn't even realize I wasn't breathing until I felt Stephen place a very light hand on my shoulder in care. I blinked a few times. "I'm sorry I'm going to need you to repeat that last sentence so I can make sure I heard you correctly..." I said, almost jokingly.

          "Look, I know what I'm about to drop on you is going to be nothing but a big question mark at the end of it, so I made up this concoction for you to take to help ease any confusion. It'll basically make your understanding more sharp. Please, take it." Marcus opened a drawer in his dark cherry wood fancy desk, and lent over the desk towards me sitting in his guest chairs that faced his desk to hand me a tiny vial filled with some kind of substance that looked almost like wasabi, if I'm being completely honest. I hesitated, but inevitably took it.

          "All you have to do is dip your finger into the vial and draw a circle with a star inside of it, with a point facing upwards onto your forehead. You'll start to feel it get incredibly warm then freezing cold. That means it's working. It'll then dry, crack, and break off of your skin all on its own. It won't leave any sort of mark, so there'll be no need for a cleanup afterwords. It'll take about a minute to two minutes to start working, another minute to finish up, and then I'll start talking. You got all that?" Marcus reclined back in his desk chair, putting his feet up on his desk. Pff, if I didn't know any better, I'd assume he'd have all the time in the world with how leisurely he's being. I rolled my eyes.

          "I'm not a dunce. I can manage at least that much." I popped the cork off of the vial and dipped my forefinger into it and took out a bit of the vibrant green paste. I then drew the pentacle on my forehead. I closed my eyes and calmed my breathing. I let it do it's job, and I felt my forehead get ridiculously hot. Hotter than I could almost bare, then it got so cold I felt like I had gotten frostbite on my head. CRACK. It then fell off and broke onto the floor between my legs. It was only then that I opened my eyes to look back at Marcus, only to find myself in an open field. I looked at my hand for the vial, which was gone. That was also true for Marcus and Stephen.

          "What the hell...." I also noticed my hand was see-through. Was I dead and now a ghost? No, I still felt my heartbeat and warmth. What in the world was going on??

         It was night, and it was about to rain. I heard thunder in the distance. Then I heard a scream, one I could never forget.

          "A...Alice? The hell's going on here?!?!" I sprinted towards the direction of the scream. I felt my heart beat pounding in my ears, which were also ringing. I heard another scream as I was running towards a dense forest. This one was different. It was a male scream. It, too, was very familiar, however I couldn't place it nearly as easily as I could Alice's. Her voice was etched into my brain more than anything else ever was.

          I then brushed through some thick bushes and downed tree branches, only to stumble upon a scene I had thought I had completely forgotten.

          I saw Alice. Alive. Well... not so much at this point. She was injured. I saw her through a broken window of an old abandoned building. She was fighting some long haired guy. It was very bloody and very loud. Both of them were screaming and grunting at each other. Then I saw three other figures. They were all male, two of which were very easily depictable. It was Marcus and his brother, Stephen! There they were! 

          Just as I was about to pop out of the woods to yell at them for what they did to me, I was frozen in my tracks by what I had seen. Alice was pierced through the heart, at the same time the guy she was fighting was. Then I saw the third guy run toward her after she dropped. Once he turned his face a bit I could tell who he was....

          It was me.

          Then it all came flooding back to me in one gigantic wave of pain, misery, worry, love, hate, and worst of all... grief.