Chapter Three

"I don't see the issue," GG said, busying herself with styling Tess's hair into an updo.

"That's the problem, it's not one issue GG, it's multiple issues." Tess shuffled her feet, causing her chair to spin and face her friend. "First of all, I didn't invite him in. Secondly, he thinks I'm just going to up and leave my life because he turned up and told me to. You said it yourself, I will never know if he truly loves me or if he just wants my baby."

GG spun the chair back to face the mirror. "Tess, did he say he loved you?"

Tess glared at her but GG didn't seem to notice. What was she getting at?

"No, but—"

"Well, then there's no issue. All he wants is to give you a nice apartment, close to him and help support you and the baby when he's born. It's what any decent man in his position would do. It's only when he starts declaring his undying love that you need to worry. For the moment, he is being upfront and truthful."

"I suppose, but I just couldn't, it wouldn't feel right."

"Oh, screw right and wrong, he left you homeless, jobless and pregnant. He wasn't worried about what was right. So why should you? Take whatever he's offering. Other than a relationship. He can shove that where the sun doesn't shine."

GG flipped Tess's hair this way and that.

"Except I'm pretty sure he does think the sun shines from his—"

"You know I heard about a new hair cutting technique, straight from Japan. I've been dying to try it. You in?" GG had zoned out and was back to using Tess as her guinea pig.

"Sure, cut away, I need a shorter style soon anyway. It's more practical." Tess was distracted. Although the thought of living in comfort was very appealing at this time especially as getting up, off that mattress in the morning was becoming near on impossible. Sleeping in a bed would be divine, but for now, she would be staying put, the less she leaned on Cole the better. Especially with his track record of getting bored and tossing people away. Staying in her apartment might seem silly to some, after all, it wasn't the best place to raise a child, but she had something Coles home didn't. Lots of love and laughter. Oh, and Mr Greene, the old guy who walked around in front of his windows in his jocks. But it was probably best to keep that tidbit away from Cole.

GG returned, hauling two ornate and ridiculously dangerous-looking swords. Struggling under their weight she placed them on the counter in front of Tess. Picking one up, she removed it from the sheath as Tess watched the blade glint against the light, beaming from the windows. The blade was almost as long as GG herself and from the way she was dragging it instead of lifting it, Tess realized she'd gotten herself into a bit of a situation.

"Lean back and sort of let your hair drape over the back, without it actually touching the chair. I'd hate to slice the furniture in half." GG giggled nervously.

"I'd hate for you to chop me in half. What do you think you're going to be doing with those swords?"

"The concept is to swing them around and gradually take a little off the end with each swing. Obviously, the shorter you want it, the more dangerous it would be. At least until I get used to it."

Tess jumped up from the chair, "Look thanks for the advice but I've suddenly decided I like my hair long." She grabbed her bag and dashed for the door.

"Hey, how am I going to practice?"

"Well, I booked Gaga in for next week, try it on her," Tess called and waddled as quickly as she could out of the salon. That GG may be her best friend and confidant but she could be bat shit crazy sometimes.