𝘹𝘪𝘪. 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘢𝘵 𝘮𝘤𝘥𝘰𝘯𝘢𝘭𝘥'𝘴.

after the bell rang at two-fifteen, katarina rushed to her locker. she didn't want to be late to hangout with mattia. she grabbed her back that she had previously packed, her phone, and her coat, then closed her locker. avani, who happened to occupy the locker beside her, had just arrived.
"what's the rush katty?" she laughed out with her eyes fixated on her lock as she put in the combination.
"i'm hanging out with mattia," she answered.
"oh, so that's why you went over to talk to mister dreamy at lunch," avani reached for her binder on the topshelf. katarina fake gagged as she leaned against her own locker, facing avani.
"mister dreamy isn't a nickname mattia should have," she told her friend.
"oh come on! he's no doubt the hottest guy in school-"
"talking about me i see," mattia came up from behind me and rested his hand on my right shoulder. avani blushed from embarrassment.
"come on "mister dreamy,"" she did air quotes with her fingers. she whispered a goodbye to avani as mattia lead her through the hallways, and out of the school. he also was carrying his backpack on his back. once they were outside in the warmth of the sun, he stopped to turn to her.
"where do you wanna go?"
"i don't know, i'm really hungry though. i haven't eaten since breakfast," katarina said, making her bottom lip protrude the top.
"what? you gotta eat! it's important," he scolded her while putting his hand on her back, guiding her down the street.
"i know, but let's go to mcdonald's, on me." she offered in which he gratefully nodded.
the pair arrived at their destination only after about ten minutes of walking. it was less awkward than katarina expected it be to for their second time talking in real life. a few times it did get awkward which made katarina want to retreat back to her phone.
their school was right in the middle of the town; it was surrounded with stores, restaurants, and nice neighbourhoods that most of the students' families inhabited. the mcdonald's that was closest to the school was older, and somehow resembled a retro diner, because of that, it was a hot spot for teenagers of their town to take photos. they'd usually post these photos on instagram or their snapchat stories.
after the two had order, and fought over who would pay (—katarina eventually ended up paying after mattia gave up on arguing), they grabbed a tracker, and sat down at the back of the restaurant. the seats of the booth they sat in were bright red, but very soft, which katarina appreciated. they were genuine cushions instead of hard plastic seats, painted to look like cushions that they'd usually find at their local wendy's before it was shut down due to health violations.
"you're cute you know," mattia spoke up while katarina was stuffing her mouth with the food that had just arrived.
"so," she said with her mouth full. "let
me get this straight, you find women stuffing their faces with food attractive? and i thought i was weird."
he laughed while putting a fry in his mouth, "not exactly, you're not afraid to be who you are, and say what you wanna say."
"that's because i don't give a fuck about what others think of me," she lifted her leg onto the seat and hugged it. he placed his hands on the table.
"i wish i could relate," he mumbled, but katarina was still able to hear what he had said.
"mattia," she whispered while putting her hands on top of his. she was never really good at comforting others, but she tried. it usually turned out awkward.
"mattia!" a boy called out. katarina immediately retracted her hands from the table. they both looked to see alejandro, and kairi entering the mcdonald's. they walked over to their table.
"didn't know you guys would be here!" kairi said sitting down beside katarina while alejandro sat beside mattia.
mattia looked obviously annoyed by his friends presence.