𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒻𝒾𝓋𝑒

•*•

.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.

She hated train rides. They went too fast, and not fast enough. She felt trapped. Daniel pacing back and forth was a constant reminder of how little the space was. "Can you knock it off," she finally snapped. She'd tried to ignore it, but his shoes were very loud, and the room would be silent if it wasn't for him. "I might stab myself to death before I stab you."

Daniel abruptly stopped his walking. "I thought you might have learned how to control your tongue," his nostrils flared with anger, his tone more condescending than ever. "Turns out I wasn't that lucky."

"I didn't ask to be brought on this stupid tour," she looked out the window, seeing nothing but trees. They'd reach district twelve before nightfall. "And yet here I am."

"It's in your honor —"

"It's in your honor," she mocked, keeping her hard gaze on the passing scenery. If Daniel wasn't in the room with her, she might have been able to enjoy the view.

He sighed rather dramatically, even for him, and took a seat on a chair on the opposite end of the room. "Have it your way. We do need to discuss a talent," he folded his hands together and followed her gaze. "If you don't have one, we can work something out. They'll want to hear about that in the Capitol."

"I don't think I have one except being angry," she tore her gaze from the trees and leaned over for her glass of sparkling water. It was disgusting, but the fuzzy feeling made her feel warm. "Doesn't count, right?"

"If it did, you'd be excellent at it,"

Daphne smiled at the man. Not a mean smile, this time. Just this once. "Is it okay if we talk about this at dinner?" She needed to go away, somewhere else. Move. At least feel like she wasn't trapped in a box.

"Of course," Daniel looked as relieved as she felt. "Don't be late, then."

She nodded and got up, pushing the glass door open. She didn't know where she was going. There wasn't much to see on the train, anyway. She went to her room, hoping to maybe get some sleep, if she wasn't shaken up by some nightmares.

In the dimly lit room, Johanna was sitting on her bed with the little box that stored her little jewelry in hand. "Stealing already?"

Johanna looked up with a grin, closed the box and set it down before leaning back on her palms. "I wouldn't have to if the one who invited me didn't leave me alone."

"Trust me," Daphne placed her cup of water down and dropped on the bed next to her friend. She laid on her back, blowing a stray curl from her face. "Daniel was with me. You wouldn't want to be in the room."