Chapter 12

Natsu awoke to the sun light shining on his face. He stood up and stretched his wings out. Wait a second wings? That's right he was changed into a cuckoo by one of Cana's arrows. He was then found by Lucy who tended to him. He wondered how long it would take for the spell to wear off.

"Good morning." The blonde goddess greeted. "I hope you slept well."

She then laid a small bowl of berries, almonds, and dried corn in front of him. Not his usual choice of breakfast but he was bird now which meant he had to eat like one.

"And here I thought birds didn't eat much but you have one large appetite little fella." Lucy chuckled as the cuckoo scarfed down the food.

Just then she heard a strong wind blow through the window of her palace which only meant one thing. Bickslow had arrived with a message for her.

"Good morning Bickslow." She greeted politely. "What brings you by?"

"An emergency. I'm supposed to alert all the gods about this." He said. "Two gods have gone missing."

"Really? Who?"

"Natsu God of the skies and Juvia Goddess of spring. They've both vanished completely off the face of the Earth. Mavis is worried out of her mind about him and poor Levy she spends night and day long looking for her."

"That's terrible. Is there anything I can do?"

"Just keep an eye out for both of them and if you see or hear anything summon me and I'll report it immediately to Mavis and Levy."

"Of course. Do all the gods know of this?"

"Pretty much... Except for Gray, I won't be able to get a message to him for awhile."

"How come?"

"The gates to the underworld have been closed off, apparently someone was messing around with the lower regions of the earth and Gray wants to make sure nobody is trying to break out of Tartarus."

"Oh dear."

As Natsu listened to the conversation he couldn't help but feel guilty for making his mother worry so much. He didn't mean to disappear without a trace, but it's not like he could tell her where he was. He was stuck in the body of cuckoo bird and he couldn't speak.

"I promise if I see or hear anything regarding either of them I'll report it to you right away." Lucy told Bickslow.

She then bid the God of the messengers and returned to her feathered friend.

"So would you like to come with me to work?" She asked him.

Natsu nodded. Lucy's job for the day was to map out the family trees of all the gods. It was tradition that no god or goddess could not marry until they knew everything about their intended spouse's family so she made records of family trees that future brides and grooms could look over.

"Now let's see." She said writing on a scroll. "Gray, Jellal, and Natsu. Sons of Zeref the king of titans and Mavis the queen of titans, grandsons of Acnologia titan of the sky and Sonya titaness of the earth. Zeref was the firstborn son of Acnologia and Sonya, Mavis had no parents she was created from marble."

Natsu perched himself on top of Lucy's shoulder and listened to her words carefully. He actually liked learning about his family, it seemed fascinating.

"Levy and Juvia daughters of Arcadios the titan of fire, he gave fire to the mortals and Hisui the titaness of hope...Oh dear she's the one who accidentally opened that forbidden box...Ouch." Lucy flipped a page. "Elfman, Mirajane, Lisanna, children of Riko titaness of law and order. Erza daughter of Irene titaness of violence and blood shed whoa! This is interesting, apparently she tried to overthrow Mavis so Makarov turned her into a fly and swallowed her but she was pregnant at the time and due to that Erza was born from Makarov's head."